Disturbance in Force

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by chedda, Oct 18, 2007.

1. chedda macrumors 6502

The big software question is the bootcamp strategy. I understand the halo effect and the switcher syndrome but how has it worked out ? Did everyone run both os's and then remove one (ms hopefully) or did they keep both ? I'd like to see at least 20% making the full transition.
    For me i could never justify dual boot or visualization for the sake of one game i pine for (silent hunter) i would rather get a regular pc tower to save the hassle.
    On a connected theme i feel the presence of a new influx of users, there seems a lot of people scrambling for incremental upgrades in hardware. This race although fresh and basically good, feeds the needs of the "upgrader" .Many people keep their mac's working 6-10 years it was never a race the software was the emphasis and still is.
    What i'm trying to say is yeah nice kit but what can you do with it ? I have seen it all before when the professional fishermen with all the kit gets whooped by a kid with a hand line !

2. tardinha macrumors member

Meh.

I used Windows from 96-07 (Win NT4 onwards, never the awful 9x) without any problems. It's a great OS (well, it was for me).

I bought a MacBook Pro purely because it is sexy hardware. The OS never entered into the equation.

Since switching, I haven't installed Bootcamp, or any virtualisation.

Having said that, I know that a lot of people game, or have very task specific Windows apps that they can't live without, however, that aside, there's no need for Windows.

(by the way, I'm a web deisgner/photographer/hobo)

Mark

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

There was a poll on what people had installed on Bootcamp-capable Macs recently. It seemed that there was a substantial group that primarily used OS X and used Windows as a backup either for certain critical apps or for games is sizable. Few people ran Windows a majority of the time on their Mac. There were also plenty of people who were not using Windows on OS X at all.

Also, please use paragraphs and sentence structure.

4. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

I installed Vista for about a month on my MBP. Just to run a few programs that I felt I needed/liked. But I got prett tired of rebooting and didn't feel like I needed a virtualization program enough, so I uninstalled Vista and now run Mac only.

As far as the "upgrader" mentality you're sensing, just blame it on the switches who are (or were at one point) gamers. The PC mentality was that your PC would be top of the line for 6-9 months, decent for the next year or so, and then you'd need to go buy the best again. Unfortunately, Bootcamp begins to bring the same mentality over to the Mac side, as people are going to constantly want the best product.

I personally don't understand it. I definitely waited until the latest MBPs came out before I switched, but simply because I didn't have to make a purchase urgently.