Disturbing iPhone Issue

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by macfreak86, Mar 18, 2010.

1. macfreak86 macrumors newbie

I have an iPhone 3G S that I got the day it came out. This issue started roughly a few weeks after I brought it home with me. If I have my phone sitting on a desk or table (it doesn't matter where I am) the signal stays at 5 bars. When I pick it up, no matter how I hold the phone, the signal rapidly drops to one bar. I never noticed this issue with my 3g. So it looks like for me, the network itself appears to be fine whenever I'm not touching the phone. Is anyone else experiencing this issue? Does anyone have any thoughts?

2. bcrguy macrumors regular

indeed very odd.. your hand should not be blocking that much (if any) of the signal... you havent jailbroken it or anything have you??

3. macfreak86 thread starter macrumors newbie

No I haven't.

4. bcrguy macrumors regular

5. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

What if you touch it while it's on the table? What if someone else touches it? Does it still work fast while holding it? Have you restarted/reset?

6. pfft macrumors regular

Same here, but only indoors, if I'm outside I can hold the phone and keep full signal.

7. bcrguy macrumors regular

are you guys in apartments or anything?? or a regular 2 storey house..
    does anyone else in your house, using a different phone (blackberry or anything) have the same signal loss??

(i dont have an iphone.. yet.. im gettin one this coming january just before my plan expires..)

8. -Leigh- macrumors member

My 3GS does this also. On Orange in the UK.

It can be sat on the sofa beside me, 3 or 4 bars of 3G signal - go to pick it up to use it, and will drop a few bars, and often goes back to the circle (GPRS). Put it back down, and it'll return to 3G.

Glad it's not just me.

9. macfreak86 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes the signal still drops when anyone else touches it even if they're holding it or if it's on a table/desk. Does that sound like an at&t issue or apple issue?

10. photojonny macrumors member

My 3GS often loses signal when I pick it put. The signal strength is almost always better when it is sat on a table. I'm on O2 in UK.

11. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

Sounds like an iPhone problem. You could put your sim in another phone to be sure though.

12. fullmanfullninj macrumors regular

I have similar issue, but only sometimes.

I am in California, USA. On TMo in a 3 story single home. I'm on the first floor (heh floor to myself!) and on this floor, I get 1-2 bars max when the phone is sitting around on a desk or something.

When I get a text, I type a response and I watch it go from T-Mobile to Searching... to No Signal. What I end up doing is putting the phone down and wait a few seconds (without touching it) and then just push send.

I think it is an issue with the hand. If your signal is easily blocked, the hand would affect things. In other areas where I have 4-5 bars and signal is strong and kickin', I can text, play games, etc.

13. Hawke macrumors regular

Pretty weird.. have you asked anyone in your area if they are noticing problems. I know you said that the networks seems to be fine.. but are you certain that is the case?

If that is definitely not the case, then it is best you contact an apple agent at one of the stores and see what they can do the help. That's what I would do. No sense in paying for something that is faulty, or has become faulty