Disturbing noise when i put in a DVD

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Wraz, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Wraz macrumors regular

I have a macbook 13 inch alu 2,4 ghz

And im a little concerned if its normal that it makes like a really wierd noice when i put in a dvd or cd.

2. Emerica macrumors member

My white MacBook makes noises too when I put in a disc and I am pretty sure it is normal because my friend's MacBook makes the same noise. It's somewhat loud.

3. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

if it sounds like it's crunching the disc, it's normal.

4. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

and if it DOES crunch the disk...thats normal too.:p:p

5. Wraz thread starter macrumors regular

Haha thanks guys for the quick replyes. so i guess its normal :)

6. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Mine makes a similar sound when waking from sleep also, and when booting. The super drive is checking for a disk. But yeah, its strange but I guess its audio feedback saying "everything is OK".

7. ortuno2k macrumors 6502a

LOL - yeah that's it! Although I have my MBP sitting next to me, I still downloaded and listened to your WAV :)

I know it's normal but to other people who are not familiar with Macs it may sound weird. I hate it when I'm at my local college library and I insert or remove a CD/DVD...all that noise crunching it makes in the middle of such silence!

I kind of wonder why hasn't Apple invested in making the optical drives a bit quieter. Oh well :rolleyes:

8. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

These "other people" are just not used to slot-loading drives. My Wii and PS3 both make similar sounds when inserting/removing discs.

It's really not loud at all, if you're in the library it just seems loud. It 's all relative!

9. Zazoh macrumors 6502a

Zazoh

I have to say that sound took me the first time too. Everything else is designed so well, seems they could really do a better job on that.

10. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

This happens to me at work when I'm at a meeting or something. A real showstopper. :D

The nice thing about those manual loading drives is you can keep a disc in them and it just stays there. My macbook won't let me - it ejects the disk from the superdive whenever I shut down.

11. viperguy macrumors 6502

viperguy

LoL I downloaded the .wav as well... it's exactly that sound.
    I thought it was wierd at first but now I just got used to is

12. Skeletal-dæmon macrumors 6502

Really? That has never happened to me before on any slot-loading Mac I have ever used! :confused: Do you have any settings changed to make it do that?