disturbing sound coming from new mbp

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Battlefield Fan, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

I just received my new mbp and went to a company called Elan computers to have them install a ocz vertex SSD(my local apple store wouldn't install it).

It all seemed fine before I took it in (stock 320 GB 7200 RPM) but now there is a buzzing noise coming from the left side after they installed it.

The noise changes frequencies if I push a little on the left side.
    Is this normal? What should I do?

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

It sounds like something has gotten loose like a fan. SSD drives shouldn't make any noise as they are, you know, solid state.;)

Apple won't fix it because it because it was "damage caused while installing a third party drive".

3. Battlefield Fan thread starter macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

what if I just told them that the noise started happening? The memory and HDD are user replaceable.

4. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

That would only work if you put the original HDD back in.

5. Makosuke macrumors 603

The real question is what caused the damage (assuming there was any). If something just failed and you'd installed a different drive, then Apple shouldn't mind, since it is, as you said, a user-replaceable part. The judgement will, of course, at least partly depend on who looks at it at Apple.

Now, if it was in fact actually damaged during installation of the drive, then the people who installed it for you should be responsible for fixing it instead of Apple.

6. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Why don't you just take it back to the company that installed the SSD?

7. Battlefield Fan thread starter macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

the tech support guy wont be in till monday :confused::mad:

Plus they probably will end up keeping it for another day or two. I guess thats what I will have to end up doing.

8. Battlefield Fan thread starter macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

Now my question is should I even be running my mbp if it is making the noise. Could I end up damaging the fan?

9. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

If you are really worried about it, turn it off. I don't think a few days will hurt anything as long as your computer's temperatures remain normal.

Don't forget: your machine, your money, your call ;)

10. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

That sucks. If it is the fan, Apple will keep it just as long if not longer (took them a week to order/get my fan in when it was replaced :rolleyes:).
    Also, if the fan is failing, a few more days running it won't harm anything - as geo said, just keep an eye on the temps.

11. Battlefield Fan thread starter macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

Alright, I had decided not to use my mbp but while trying to go to bed tonight I figured I might as well go ahead and open up my mbp to see if there was something stuck on the fan. After opening it up I saw one of the many foam pads used throughout the inside stuck on the fan.

I can't believe that a 3rd party "apple certified tech" would miss something like this. :confused:

12. Makosuke macrumors 603

Yikes. That's pretty scary, but glad you caught it and saved yourself the time (though now you'll probably be worried that they screwed something else up while they were in there). I can understand something like that happening, but I don't see how you could let it go out the door without noticing--surely they turned it on...

Also, are these guys an Apple Certified repair place as in "They are certified for AppleCare work" or just that they have a repair certification? The latter is easier to get--requires spending a chunk of money and passing a written test, basically--and doesn't really absolve them from being idiots or sleaze.

On a completely unrelated note, speaking of sleaze, the current Google ad running on this thread is disturbingly shady ("AppIe Coupons", note the capital i).