Ditch Cable/Sat for AppleTV?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Mac In School, Jul 6, 2007.


Would you cancel cable/sat and buy all of your programming through he iTunes store?

  1. Yes

    17 vote(s)
  2. No

    16 vote(s)
  1. Mac In School macrumors 65816

    Jun 21, 2007
    Assume that every show you get on cable/sat was available through the iTunes store (even live shows, like news and sports), and that each program was $1.99 and episode. Also assume that it was made available at the same time it is broadcast on television.

    I know, there are some fantasy assumptions there, but amuse me.
  2. netdog macrumors 603


    Feb 6, 2006
    I have already done it. The exception is that I still use DVDs as well.
  3. Mac In School thread starter macrumors 65816

    Jun 21, 2007
    I would not. It just wouldn't make sense, economically.

    There are 3 people living in my home (wife, niece and I). I have about 25 TiVo season passes. The girls have about 15. There is some overlap there, but not much.

    Where I would get killed is on programs that I watch daily. I can't imagine paying $60/month just to watch 30 minutes of NASCAR Now every day. Add a single news broadcast/day, and I'm up to $120/month ($30 higher than my cable bill). That's before adding a single prime-time show.
  4. hauntedcity macrumors member


    May 4, 2007
    I voted "yes", although I would probably use EyeTV to record off-the-air programs, and use iTunes only for items not available over an antenna.

    Right now, I still have 1 thing holding me back, however. I'm not sure what I would do in football season. I would really hate to miss Colts, Bears, and Saints games on ESPN and the NFL network. I imagine the sports aspect will keep many folks from doing what the poll suggests. Now, if Apple TV could put together something like Direct TV's NFL Sunday Ticket, with live streaming games, I would ditch my current provider in an nanosecond.
  5. hotinplaya macrumors member

    Jul 6, 2007
    When iTunes comes out with 'al-Carte" channel purchase
    good bye DirecTV
  6. Mac In School thread starter macrumors 65816

    Jun 21, 2007
    Since it's a fantasy poll, assume that anything you're able to get on your current TV setup would be available through the iTunes store. Every football game for $1.99 each.

    Sounds appealing at first, but if you watch football the way I did, when I was a DirecTV customer, it could get ugly...

    Come 2:00, I'd watch my beloved Broncos, and my beloved Broncos only. But for the 11:00 game, I'd switch around and watch them all. If there were 10 early games, that would be $20 every Sunday, just to flip through channels. Truth is, I checked every game out, but some very briefly. It would kinda suck to pay $1.99 for the games I flipped to just to check the score to see if they looked like good games.
  7. imlucid macrumors 6502

    May 3, 2007
    I ditched Satellite in October and haven't looked back. 95% of my TV shows are purchased from iTS and the other 5% are recorded in HD with a pair of EyeTV 500's that then convert to Apple TV.

    The fact that most of my content is commercial free is absolutely awesome and well worth $2 a show to me.

    I definitely missed Hockey this year though did watch the cup finals from iTS (horrendous quality though!). But personally its been worth while.

  8. Danksi macrumors 68000


    Oct 3, 2005
    Nelson, BC. Canada
    There's bugga' all on Cable anyway...

    Our TV's mostly for my wife's obsession with Iron Chef (Food Channel) and DVD's.

    I'm considering a refurb'd :apple:TV for music, photo's, podcasts, family movies and kids movies that I've ripped to save the DVDs and DVD Player from total destruction.
  9. nichos macrumors 6502


    Jul 17, 2004
    Jacksonville, Fl
    I voted no. I would've voted "yes" if they didn't charge so much for apple TV, and it had DVR functionality, then I could get/record local programming.
  10. Mac In School thread starter macrumors 65816

    Jun 21, 2007
    Good Eats would be another spendy one for me.
  11. zioxide macrumors 603


    Dec 11, 2006
  12. Kevin83165 macrumors regular

    Oct 28, 2006
    If I lost the Cartoon network I would get mauled bu 1000 kids in my home so no lol
  13. OutThere macrumors 603


    Dec 19, 2002
  14. Mac In School thread starter macrumors 65816

    Jun 21, 2007
    Only if you were content only getting antenna-based programming. Otherwise, for the sake of my fantasy poll, TiVo would be canceled too.

    BTW, I've been a happy TiVo subscriber since the day they released the TiVo/DirecTV box. Canceling it for cable now because I'm not pleased with DirecTV's HD/DVR offerings.

Share This Page