ditch MBP and replace it with Mac Mini?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by angusslo, Sep 13, 2011.

1. angusslo macrumors regular

angusslo

hi there!
    I have 2 years old MBP, and I never really used it without power cord, so when I bought iPad 2 this may, I began thinking about changing MBP to Mac Mini, since I've bought MBP for collage and now I don't have to use it since I got iPad.

I'm selling my MBP on ebay ATM, and I am looking for a good mac mini, July 2011 model. I would prefer a used one at about 900€ price, what model do you guys recommend? I was thinking about 2.5 i5 with 750GB hard drive and 4GB memory. would it 4GB be enough, my MBP is kinda laggy from times to times with 4GB.

best regards, Angusslo

2. angusslo thread starter macrumors regular

angusslo

3. marc11 macrumors 68000

Might help to know why you want to sell a perfectly good machine for something else, like what you use it for....your question is sort of like, I have this car, it is a fine car, but I think I want a new car, can you recommend one for me, because my current one is sometimes a little slow....how about this car, is it good for me?????

4. angusslo thread starter macrumors regular

angusslo

well I'm selling my MBP because i barley use it as a laptop - for 360 days/year it's used at my desk like this:

[​IMG]
    DSC_1471 by Luksislo, on Flickr

so basically, I don't use display or trackpad, and without that, having MBP kinda loses point, so I would rather invest in more powerful mac mini, cause' I've already gotten 24" display for it, right.

thank you.

5. bigcat318 macrumors 6502

I considered the same thing not long ago but realized there was no Mac Mini that had the graphics capabilities of my MBP. By the time I maxed out a Mac Mini the cost didn't seem worth it to eseentially gain nothing.

Currently you aren't using your MBP to its full potential by it not leaving your desk, which is fine (I barely move mine either anymore), but do you really GAIN anything with a mac mini? Why not just upgrade the RAM or HD in your MBP? I know my 2008 MBP supports 8GB of ram and you can replace the CD drive with an SSD.

6. angusslo thread starter macrumors regular

angusslo

well, mac mini I'm looking for has "AMD Radeon HD 6630M graphics processor with 256MB of GDDR5 memory" and my MBP only has Nvidia 9600M GT (but it's running MOSTLY, like 85% of the time, on 9400m) and I guess Radeon is more powerful?

7. Praksis macrumors member

If you don't use your laptop as a laptop go for it, but think twice between a mac mini or a iMac in my opinion.... desktop for desktop, you'll be better equipped with a iMac imho...

8. Smeaton1724 macrumors 6502a

Smeaton1724

Stick with the macbook as with the Mac Mini you'll 100% lose any form of portability. You say it's always sat on your desk but so what, that's all a mac mini can do.

Power wise you won't really gain anything going to the mac mini. Infact why do you have your desk set out like that, why don't you use the screen of the macbook as a 2nd monitor, 1 page for web/itunes and the other for work?

9. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"well I'm selling my MBP because i barley use it as a laptop - for 360 days/year it's used at my desk like this:"

If you absolutely have no need to carry it around, perhaps a new Mini might be a reasonable replacement.

However, I'd strongly suggest that you go for the "deluxe" version of the Mini -- that being the "Mini server edition". It's got a quad-core CPU, a good complement of RAM out-of-the-box, and two 7,200rpm drives. A very nice package for not all that much more money.

10. spetznatz macrumors regular

spetznatz

Trouble is, the server only has intel integrated graphics... I'd consider one otherwise. A quad-core mini with a decent graphics card in it and a £200 wide-screen monitor would be a great (and much cheaper) replacement for my MBP as a 'kitchen machine' (I'm in the same situation as the OP).

11. angusslo thread starter macrumors regular

angusslo

well I was thinking about iMac, but it's too expensive. I'm guessing I can get 900€ for my MBP and none of the iMacs is no where near this cheap.

12. bigcat318 macrumors 6502

I guess I stopped considering the Mini becuase I would have downgraded in video ram. Which as an avid SCII player I was not about to do.