Ditch my glossy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by groove-agent, Aug 21, 2009.

1. groove-agent macrumors 6502a

I was pleased to learn that they've reintroduced the matte screen for the 15" MBP. I personally think the gloss should still be the option, but that's just me. Originally I was going to use my 17" SR for a couple more years, but then it was having problems where suddenly the HD would lose data for no reason. This happened just before a critical presentation and so I went out and purchased a unibody under the idea that I could eventually shell out $200 for Techrestore to replace my LCD for a matte one.

Now that the matte option has come out, I'm not sure what to do. There are some advantages to the new units and advantages to keeping my original unibody. Here are the advantages of each:

Original Unibody:
    * has an expresscard slot that I can use for extra ports, eSATA, or a Universal Audio DSP card (I do audio/video production)
    * faster SATA interface - I eventually want to switch to dual solid state drives when the capacities increase and the prices decrease which could possibly take advantage of this
    * removable battery - i don't have to pay someone to change out the battery in addition to the cost of the battery (which means 2x the price)
    * user removable primary hard drive - i could potentially have a back up drive ready to go in case mine fails (but this isn't a big deal)
    * i don't have to sell my original unibody at a loss
    * discrete graphics for some games (i would probably replace it with the base 15" - no discrete graphics)

New Unibody:
    * more RAM - comes with 4GB versus the 2GB of RAM I have
    * nicer bezel ... still says MBP and matches my older 20" cinemas
    * longer battery life which would often come in handy - particularly if i'm running dual hard drives
    * SD slot - a neat floppy disk system but I don't really see the point of this - I'd rather have a third USB port
    * better organized ports - i like the display port behind the USB
    * slightly faster processor
    * get snow leopard for free
    * don't have to shell out $200 to replace my screen

Attachment: A Techrestore matte LCD unibody (originally submitted by another Macrumors member)

Attached Files:

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

As the agent of groove™, I think you should upgrade. It's a beautiful machine made even better with matte.

3. groove-agent thread starter macrumors 6502a

I need a better reason than that to shell out the money lol!

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

In your other thread it seems more are being helpful with things. Bottom line, is matte important to you?

5. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

With all the advantages you listed for keeping your original MBP, it sounds to me like the TechRestore option is still your best bet. Snow Leopard will still cost you $9.95 to upgrade unless you buy in a month or two. RAM is cheap. Personally I find the TechRestore bezel to be nicer since black seems to match the styling better.

6. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

Or for $35 you can buy the Moshi iVisor AG, I bought one for my 13uMBP and it's awesome, I love it! I'd highly recommend checking it out before you spend alot of money.

Andrew