Ditched the mighty mouse

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Cabbit, Apr 26, 2007.

1. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

Ok let me say this i have had 3 wired mighty mice, and one wireless mighty mouse, and i have since binned them all replaceing them with a apple pro mouse wireless.

The first mightymouse was great wile it lasted, a hole 3 months, the second lasted 5 months, and the wireless mightymouse stopped scrolling after the second day and apple uk would not allow me to return it, it also had really bad tracking on most surfaces, i spent 70 pounds on that mouse and i had to suffer it for 5 months without it fully working till i saw a wireless apple pro mouse on ebay, and im really happy with it except for the lack of buttons. I can deal with this till i find something as good looking and comfertable, heres hopeing for mighty mouse rev b.

2. GothicChess.Com macrumors regular

GothicChess.Com

I too absolutely HATE this dang mouse with the little mouse button that is merely a "dot" near the top of the mouse. I went to Apple's site to get a picture of the thing and look at this error message:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?nnmm=browse&mco=FB39F864&node=home/mac_accessories/mice_keyboards

You get an error message, how appropriate since the mouse is just awful!

Is there anyone else out there that hates this mouse?

Mine will all of a sudden move to the extreme left when I am scrolling on the right, occasionally it will bring up a "right mouse button" function when I am just mousing-down normally, very, very frustrating!

A Mac mouse was never meant to be like a PC mouse and all attempts to simulate this behavior are just wrong on so many levels!

3. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

I DO!
    When i purchased my imac i knew i hated it so i bought the logitech S530 set and love it!

4. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

I don't know if I completely agree with that statement, but I don't think the Mighty Mouse is the best Apple can come do. Granted, it's one of the more attractive mice out there, but there are some reliability/usability issues that definitely need to be dealt with.

5. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Do what I did, ditch the Mighty Mouse and get the VX Revolution. You won't regret it.

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i have the MX revolution. its great. might have to get the VX for my macbook though. :D

7. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I ditched mine for the logitech MX518. Great mouse, great decision.

8. slayr-cxf50 macrumors member

Mac peripherals have always sucked, and still do. The keyboards are hard to press (desktop keyboards anyway), and the mice feel flimsy. To me anyway.

9. BiikeMike macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

I actually don't really mind the wireless mighty mouse. Granted i've only had it for a few weeks, but really not problems to speak of. Besides when i'm playing a game and switch it out for my Trackball, I think its fine :)

10. smueboy macrumors 6502a

smueboy

I love my mighty mouse; feels great, works well. Mice are such a personal preference, so not really surprising that some people love it and some hate it.

11. CANEHDN macrumors 6502a

CANEHDN

Hate it. I also bought the S530 and love it. I think the keyboard could be a little bigger. I like my keys a little more spaced but all-in-all it's a great set up.

12. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

I like my wireless Mighty Mouse, but I'm probably going to get an MX Revolution for my Mac Pro and switch the MM over to "portable mouse" duty for my PowerBook. :)

13. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

Ditched my (wired) MM for a Bluetooth MS Intellimouse. I figured if I was going to get a wireless mouse there was no point getting one where I had to plug an adaptor in.

I couldn't stand the MM once the scroll ball started screwing up, I'm so much happier with my MS mouse.

14. macidiot macrumors 6502a

That's not true. The Apple Keyboard II was one of the best keyboards ever made. And the old, old mice were fine.

Apple mice went to hell in a handbasket when that old hockey puck imac mouse came out. What an utter piece of crap. Apple hasn't made a decent mouse since.

Just get a 3rd party mouse, any mouse, from any company, and be done with it. Logitech, Microsoft, Kensington, MacAlly, Razer, whoever... they all are superior to Apple.

15. sthpark7791 macrumors regular

i also could never get used to apple mice. I tried out the VX revolution but ended up returning it since I found myself using the trackpad much more. :eek:

16. NorCalLights macrumors 6502a

I actually love the current Apple desktop keyboard. I have a wired one at work and a wireless one at home and I like the key-action on both. It's possible that they wear out, however, as there is one wired mouse kicking around the office that feels like it has sand below the keys. Then again, maybe it *does* have sand below the keys...

Apple mice are a different story. Third party mice are better in all respects.

17. intendedaccel macrumors member

18. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I use a mighty mouse periodically and think it's fine for some light usage, but definitely not for any major use. I have bought a Logitech VX Revolution and I think it is definitely the best mouse ever, if you were to choose between the two, go with the VX Revolution.

19. oscuh macrumors 6502

Mine does the right button thing as well. I had to deactivate the side button functionality as it kept bringing up Exposé. This occuring in the middle of a crah and burn InDesign layout really got on my nerves. I still have the issue where with the SLIGHTEST pressure, it seems to think I'm clicking on the right button. I'm taking it to service shortly to have it checked out.

As far as the random side-scrolling, that's an easy fix. Unplug the mouse, get a clean sheet of paper, and "scrub" the scroll ball on the paper. Don't do it too hard, though. Scrub it around for a few seconds and that should dislodge whatever gunk might be in there causing the scrolling issue.

20. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

I like my Mighty Mouse, the only problem I have is that it wont always scroll down and if I move it too fast it flings my cursor to the top left corner of the screen. I use my brothers iMac every now and then and he has just the pro mouse and its weird not having the scroll ball.

21. macdaddy121 macrumors 6502a

I switched to the Mighty Mouse about 3 months ago. Best mouse I have ever used. Previous mouse was the Logitech MX1000.

22. djchristie macrumors member

djchristie

Have bluetooth mightmouse and hate it. Will only right click if i lift my hand off and press down on the far right - if I am touching it anywhere else will just give a left click. Also don't think the ergonomics are good for my hand - but that's personal preference. It pains me to say it, but the only MS product I have ever bought is a wireless optical mouse and it is brilliant, feels good and solid with no issues at all.

23. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

I like my MM, bought it almost a year ago and it still works. :)

24. mooncaine macrumors regular

I use computers for long hours, and over the past 20 years I've had wrist and hand pain probs. Long story short: getting the right exercises from a doctor, and the right keyboard/mouse thingies, made all the difference.

So now I'm using a Microsoft [ugh] Natural Multimedia Keyboard, just so I can get that curved keyboard. It's the best deal I could find on a Mac-friendly keyboard [yep, all the buttons work, even the special ones] that has the curves my doc said I needed. Been using those for 4-5 years now. They usually come with a mouse, so I just use that, til my mouse hand gets sore, then....

... I switch to the Kensington trackball, which is inexpensive and good for left-handed users like me [a hearty middle finger extension to Logitech -- thanks for nothing, ya jerks].

Bonus: the MS keyboard and mouse are wireless. I could care less, but that's what was available. I admit it's slightly convenient to have no wires, but also slightly inconvenient to have to swap the batteries every 4 mos. or so.

25. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

The current Apple keyboard is fantastic and probably the best I have ever used. As for the Mighty Mouse, I find it to be excellent. The tracking is perfect and it is very ergonomic. I much prefer it to the many logitech ones I have used for gaming. The only problem with it is that little damn scroll ball!

David