Ditching an iPad case for AppleCare+?

kajitox

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 2, 2007
What are your thoughts on skipping out on an iPad case in favor of just getting AppleCare+?

Just doing some math on what I spent on my iPad 2:

AppleCare (original) ($70)
Belkin Snap Shield ($20)
Smart Cover ($30)
iVisor ($20)

That's $140. vs:

AppleCare+ ($100)
Replacement when it gets too scratched up ($50)
Same iVisor as before (already purchased)

That's $150. Plus the added value of having a thinner divice...

der-kaiser

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
Brisbane
If you are only getting cases for protection then it is a variable option. My purpose for a case aside from protection is to look inconspicuous and good at the same time.

kajitox

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 2, 2007
If you are only getting cases for protection then it is a variable option. My purpose for a case aside from protection is to look inconspicuous and good at the same time.
Yeah, this is definitely true. And if I need to prop it up for typing or watching a movie, I can't do that without a case. Hm.

der-kaiser

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
Brisbane
Yeah, this is definitely true. And if I need to prop it up for typing or watching a movie, I can't do that without a case. Hm.
Good point. I also don't think I'll ever feel comfortable enough throwing a naked iPad into my bag with the rest of the stuff carrying it around or walking around school all day with it in my hands.

kajitox

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 2, 2007
Good point. I also don't think I'll ever feel comfortable enough throwing a naked iPad into my bag with the rest of the stuff carrying it around or walking around school all day with it in my hands.
And so goes the argument for getting a sleeve, instead. I would consider a Colcasac since I like the different design, but I guess I would be very disappointed if it weren't easy to carry.

It's a tough choice since a shoulder bag would be awesome, if it weren't for the other things I have to carry on a daily basis. A sleeve would be great if it also helped prop the thing up etc. A back case would be great if it didn't add unnecessary bulk to it.

All I know is that the leather folio cases and such make me gag.

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
exactly - not anal about it, but don't like owned something that looks scratched....