Ditching Lion for Snow Leopard, now what?

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by keithos27, Oct 17, 2011.

1. keithos27 macrumors regular

Hey there everyone. I have an iPhone 4S and an iPad 2 both with iOS 5. I also HAD Lion 10.7.2 but have found it to be too buggy and have just formatted my MacBook Pro and am back to running Snow Leopard 10.6.8.

Question is what do I do now, since I already migrated my MobileMe over to iCloud? Will my Mail app still be able to show my old MobileMe (now my current iCloud) account? If so, how do I set up things now. My System Preferences pane only has a MobileMe icon (no iCloud, obviously). Or am I stuck with webmail now?

What am I "losing" (features-wise) by going back to Snow Leopard and not using Lion (from a MobileMe/iCloud perspective)?

Thanks,
    Keith

2. SC. macrumors newbie

I think you may have to set up the account on 10.6 as a 'non MobileMe' IMAP account (just select IMAP from the account type box) and then proceed with the settings as described here by Apple - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4864

When you first set up the account through the wizard and enter your email address and password, it will reject it as the OS presumes it's a MM account based upon the address - thing is, it's not as you've 'migrated' it to iCloud......Just click Continue and then enter the Incoming & Outgoing servers/details manually......

I know this all works, because it's what I did the other day with a test iCloud .me address, running 10.6.8 on a MBP.....

For now, I'm sticking on 10.6.8 with my MM account, until all this irons itself out....and that includes 10.7, which I don't really like certain aspects of plus I'm wary of the incompatibilities with software/drivers etc.....

With the exception of things liking auto syncing photos across devices via Photo Stream, I feel there's little to loose by continuing with MM for a while - in fact, there's probably more functionality...!

Steve