Ditching Macbook Pro for two seperate devices?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Gator24765, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Gator24765 macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

I currently have a 15" macbook pro. The main use for this computer now is internet usage and homework. I do however use it for video editing from time to time. This is where I would like to get some advice..

What would be my best option? Sell the macbook pro and get a mac mini and a macbook air/macbook?

The mac mini for a media server in my room as well as my video editing machine etc..

The macbook air for internet usage/ homework etc..

or what to exchange for the macbook air?

2. rnelan7 macrumors 6502

rnelan7

I just purchased an iMac and I have to say, having two computers is nice. I plan on selling my MBP to get a MBA for perfect mobility. If you really wanted to do two computers I would say go for a mba and iMac or Mac Mini. You could get a good return on your 15" so a MBA and Mac Mini shouldn't cost you too much more.

3. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

Actually I thought about getting the 15", but I liked the size of the 13" model. What I did is basically what you are thinking. I use my 13" MBP for most of my everyday stuff, and use my Mac Mini as a workhorse. Even have screen sharing turned on so I never even touch the Mac Mini. I just access it from the MBP when I need to.

Anywho...point is that the Mac Mini will do great as a work horse, so if you really want a MBA go that route.

My Mac Mini right at this moment is running several tabs of Terminal, with every tab running a seperate process of HandbrakeCLI converting MKV to mp4, iMovie is going, as well as uTorrent, and its not even close to slowing down.

4. Gator24765 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

Yeah I was just thinking about using the mac mini as a work horse. I hate when my macbook pro is rendering video etc and I dont have access to my computer.

I would like to set up the mac mini as, like I said, a media terminal as well. Maybe get a long hdmi cord to hook up to my hdtv across the room. Netflix etc..

I havent read up on airplay yet.. Can I stream from mac mini to an apple tv 2?

5. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

From what I understan you CAN stream from Mac/iDevice to an Airport Express or ATV2 with Airplay.

What you can not do with Airplay is stream between iDevices and Mac/iTunes.

6. Gator24765 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

All I was planning on, if possible was to stream from Mac mini to an apple tv setup to my tv.. nothing complicated.

As far as a macbook air.. Im still deciding which one would be a good choice?

7. rnelan7 macrumors 6502

rnelan7

Streaming from an Apple TV from a Mac Mini will be fine. When you start up the Apple TV you will see your Mac Mini under computers and will be able to access your iTunes library.

8. Gator24765 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

sounds legit.. i will be able to do this through macbook air too?

I dont want to start up a feeler thread in market place since this is already open but what could i typically get for my MBP..

15" Core 2 Duo 2.53 Unibody Late 2009
    500 gb hard drive
    anti glare screen
    battery life still solid