Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

billybobjones

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2011
Theres 3 types of people i find:

1. ones who want to go out and take pictures, and they are enthusiastic about it. They have a DSLR couple of lenses, and do it as a hobby. They dont mind carrying the equipment. While they may know some of what their equipment can do, they dont/cant get the most out of it. Buying more equipment is expensive and they might not find it worth it from what they can use it for.

2. Professionals who make photography their living. Know the ins and outs, take as much time as needed to get their shot. Spend time editing, processing, etc.. They know how to get the most out of every piece of equipment they have.

3. Average person who wants to take the best photo they can to capture the moments they care about. Social media users, etc.. They dont want to carry around equipment. They dont go out of their way usually for photography.

this is what i see each using:

1. DSLR/Smartphone- As smartphones are getting better, these types may not find what they can get out of their equipment worth the effort/cost. The difference in their shots between smartphones/dslr is not that different because they dont know how to get the most out of their equipment or they cant afford better equipment.

2 DSLR- self explanatory really. a high end dslr with a professional will always give a better shot than a smartphone. Larger sensors, better lenses, better AF, etc..

3. Smartphone- more than enough.

Again i know this is beating a dead horse, but the best camera is the one you have with you, and for most people they are category 3. I at one point wanted to play with DSLR, and considered it as a hobby, but I dont have the time and I dont want to carry the equipment when I travel, etc.. So to me its not worth getting a DSLR. It would be a waste with my skills

Last edited:

swandy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
lol what? I love how you quoted me yet wrote as if you were talking to someone else. What do you expect me to do differently on the iPhone? I composed the shot to get the most in the field of view as possible (I was as far back as I could go), I tapped to make sure focus was correct, and then snapped the photo while remaining still.

Here's another sample:

Sony a7R II:
View attachment 735553

iPhone X

View attachment 735554
Ok - few things I noticed (and yes, I have been involved with photography for over 50 years - though not using a phone for that period of time LOL).
(1) Taking pictures of snow/ice is never easy because the exposure is always thrown off. You usually get grey snow - sort of like in the Sony pic - because the camera tries to compensate for the exposure of the snow and turn it's exposure to the same grey that is used on exposure cards. The iPhone seems to have adjusted better BUT the Sony picture, with the lovely moving water looks like you used a much slower shutter speed than the frozen water in the iPhone photo, where the water is completely "frozen".
(2) The Sony pictures framing is not the same as the iPhones - you can see MUCH more of the sky, which will also effect the overall exposure of the picture. Unless you were using spot metering - can't tell as there is no EXIF data in the photos.
(3) And as someone else pointed out, there is much more data in the Sony file (even if it was shot in JPEG) to be able to bring back details in shadows and - especially in this case - highlights, that would be difficult with the iPhone pictures.
[doublepost=1510698177][/doublepost]
Hi guys,

I have been a big fan of photography for a few years now and have been jumping from camera to camera. I started with a Canon 6d a few years ago and scaled it down to a Fuji film xt1 and now x100f. I loved the images that I was getting with these cameras but I found myself to be obsessed with just buying cameras for the hype of owning a cool new piece of technology. I found myself shooting like crazy when I first got the camera but a few months later the camera would collect dust.

I purchased the iPhone X and am absolutely in love with this phone. So much so that I have been taking it out specifically to shoot to see what kind of images I am able to get. Super impressed and happy with the results. Pictures in the day time are clear and sharp as hell. The dynamic range is insane. At night the camera could be a bit better but still manages to capture great pictures with a bit of noise.

I have a big trip coming up in 2 weeks to Shanghai and Seoul. I typically travel solo and just wonder around taking pictures. I am highly considering getting rid of my x100f and going with only my iPhone X for pictures. The thought of being able to go out with nothing but my phone brings tears to my eyes. I don't plan on doing anything with these pictures other than posting them on my website and instagram. However, I am worried that I will regret not bringing an "actual" camera.

Here are some pictures that ive taken before with my x100f during my last trip - www.phaotos.com

What do you guys think? Should I ditch the camera or bring it along?

Has anyone here ditched their DSLR or Mirrorless to only shoot iPhone? How did that go?

Any suggestions and feedback would be super appreciated.

Thanks a bunch!

(1) No, I have not "ditched" my better camera (Olympus Pen-F) or even my smaller camera (Canon G7X) yet for my iPhone 8 and I doubt if I would even if I had the iPhone X - which I probably will get eventually. And while I love with the newer iPhones can do, sorry they cannot keep up with what a "normal" camera can do - especially someone who knows how to use the camera and does not just take snapshots. Now - again I don't have the iPhone X yet, I might consider ditching my smaller Canon camera, but probably not.
(2) If I was taking a trip like you are, I would not DREAM of just taking my iPhone. First, I would certainly want at least a second camera/body incase of any issues.
(3) Now, having said that, have I spent the day just wandering around with just whatever iPhone I had at the time - sure - but generally those are areas that I have either visited before or go to walk around on a regular basis. We visit San Francisco a lot (son and granddaughter live there) and sometime will just walk around with our iPhones. BUT, if I was visiting somewhere "photogenic" that I had never visited before (and might not again) I would at least take my smaller camera along.

Reactions: sean000

ducatiti

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2011
I don't know much about photography and have only been using S, A, or portrait mode on my Nikon D7000.

That being said, can my iPhone X replace the camera above considering how old the camera is.

Again, pardon my lack of knowledge in photography.

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
Ok - few things I noticed (and yes, I have been involved with photography for over 50 years - though not using a phone for that period of time LOL).
(1) Taking pictures of snow/ice is never easy because the exposure is always thrown off. You usually get grey snow - sort of like in the Sony pic - because the camera tries to compensate for the exposure of the snow and turn it's exposure to the same grey that is used on exposure cards. The iPhone seems to have adjusted better BUT the Sony picture, with the lovely moving water looks like you used a much slower shutter speed than the frozen water in the iPhone photo, where the water is completely "frozen".
(2) The Sony pictures framing is not the same as the iPhones - you can see MUCH more of the sky, which will also effect the overall exposure of the picture. Unless you were using spot metering - can't tell as there is no EXIF data in the photos.
(3) And as someone else pointed out, there is much more data in the Sony file (even if it was shot in JPEG) to be able to bring back details in shadows and - especially in this case - highlights, that would be difficult with the iPhone pictures.
[doublepost=1510698177][/doublepost]

(1) No, I have not "ditched" my better camera (Olympus Pen-F) or even my smaller camera (Canon G7X) yet for my iPhone 8 and I doubt if I would even if I had the iPhone X - which I probably will get eventually. And while I love with the newer iPhones can do, sorry they cannot keep up with what a "normal" camera can do - especially someone who knows how to use the camera and does not just take snapshots. Now - again I don't have the iPhone X yet, I might consider ditching my smaller Canon camera, but probably not.
(2) If I was taking a trip like you are, I would not DREAM of just taking my iPhone. First, I would certainly want at least a second camera/body incase of any issues.
(3) Now, having said that, have I spent the day just wandering around with just whatever iPhone I had at the time - sure - but generally those are areas that I have either visited before or go to walk around on a regular basis. We visit San Francisco a lot (son and granddaughter live there) and sometime will just walk around with our iPhones. BUT, if I was visiting somewhere "photogenic" that I had never visited before (and might not again) I would at least take my smaller camera along.

Sounds like you’re agreeing with me, that a smartphone simply can’t replace a professional camera for the reasons you stated.

swandy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
Sounds like you’re agreeing with me, that a smartphone simply can’t replace a professional camera for the reasons you stated.
Yes, but not based on the two photos you used in your example but based upon the actual capabilities of a "normal" digital camera compared to the iPhone X.

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
I bought my first DSLR in 2004. In 2010 I started switching over to mirrorless m4/3. Today I primarily shoot with an Olympus OM-D EM-5, but I also still have some Nikon gear. My OM-D is pretty light and compact... especially with just a pancake prime attached, but there are still times when I leave it at home.

I suspect that going from an iPhone 6 to the X will result in me leaving the dedicated camera gear at home more often, but I can’t imagine the X completely replacing a dedicated camera for me. I chose my Nikon and Olympus cameras partly because of the excellent manual controls. Fuji excels in that area as well. I don’t care how good a camera the iPhone has... it just won’t be as pleasant to shoot with, especially in bright sunlight where a viewfinder is pretty much a necessity in my opinion.

There are still many ways a dedicated camera wins for versatility. I frequently carry several lenses and a flashgun. A dedicated camera with an excellent lens still have an edge in image quality as well, but that edge is fading when it comes to many types of shots.

So yeah... the compact point and shoot market is pretty much dead, and has been for a few years. Photography enthusiasts will continue to buy advanced compact point and shoots, superzooms, mirrorless, DSLRs, and of course action cameras... but there will be a number of people who decide they don’t need those things when a smartphone will work well enough for most of their shots.

I would assume anyone who appreciates a camera like the x100f will not be satisfied with the iPhone X as a camera for long. Photography enthusiasts tend to own more than one camera and quite a few lenses. We learn to work with the strengths and weaknesses of each tool in the kit. The iPhone X adds another very good tool to the kit, but it can’t replace the whole kit.

Sean

Last edited:

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
I think the latest iPhones are great for day to day photography and even artistic photography. I’d say 80% of my shooting is with my phone. I like to pack light when I can. But here are situations where I break out the DSLR (a Canon 80D that we purchased 6 months ago prior to a trip to Europe):

• Potentially frameable shots that I may want to blow up to 8x10 or bigger, where maximum fine detail is ideal
  • Shallow depth of field shots
  • Low light frameable shots
  • Indoor sports where I need to shoot at high ISOs to freeze action in poor lighting
  • Very wide angle or long telephoto shots
Generally my rule of thumb is: if I plan on taking photos I may want to frame or really show off, I bring the Canon. Otherwise if I’m just capturing basic memories, I use the iPhone.

My wife is different. She’s tried the fancy cameras but prefers to shoot with her iPhone. And she can get stunning shots with that phone. She knows how to get the most out of that tool.

Also, I agree over-reliance on kit lenses limit the benefits of hauling around the fancy gear. I’ve found that, for a few hundred dollars more, you can add one or two prime lenses to your bag that are light and compact and really make the DSLR shine, once you learn how to use them. I have a 50mm and a 28mm which can take amazing shots. The iPhone cannot replicate what those can do in the right hands.

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
I don't know much about photography and have only been using S, A, or portrait mode on my Nikon D7000.

That being said, can my iPhone X replace the camera above considering how old the camera is.

Again, pardon my lack of knowledge in photography.

Your D7000 is still a MUCH more capable camera. The sensor might be older than what is used in the latest smartphones, but it’s still an excellent sensor that is much larger. I imagine that you have a kit Zoom like the 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 VR. Add a 35mm prime and a flashgun, and you’ve got a super versatile kit that can capture photos that would be impossible to take with the iPhone. Of course you’re going to need a small bag for that kit, while the iPhone fits in a pocket. That means the iPhone is going to be able to capture photos you wouldn’t get with the D7000 because you didn’t want to carry it at the time.

If you are interested in continuing your development as a photographer: keep your D7000. It’s a great camera. Invest in a fast prime, a flashgun, or a tripod if you don’t have those items. Above all keep experimenting with S, A, and M modes so you learn to manage depth of field and shutter speed in creative ways. Use the iPhone for 4K video, instantly sharing photos, and for when you leave the Nikon at home.

Having said all that, you can certainly get some excellent photos with the X and you might enjoy it more. Plenty of photographers have gotten by with a very simple kit. It just depends on what you like to photograph.

Sean

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
I also shoot Raw and edit on lightroom.

Actually The iOS Lightroom app literally lets you do exactly this.
[doublepost=1510731394][/doublepost]
I replaced my iPhone 6 with the X. I sold the RX100.

I have a DSLR that I mainly just use with the 50mm lens at family parties in which there is no comparison as far as portrait / bokeh photos when compared to the digital bokeh that an iPhone produces so I’ll be keeping that.

I also have a canon g7x 2 and a 7 plus that I feel serve extremely similar purposes as far as the type pics I take with them although the g7x has optical zoom and a much larger sensor.

Did you sell the rx100 because the X produces photos within the same range or close enough to the same quality as the rx100?

Although I have some issues with the iPhone X I almost put a higher priority on the camera quality more than any other spec so I’d be willing to sell the g7x and my 7plus to switch to the X if the image quality is comparable.

ducatiti

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2011
Your D7000 is still a MUCH more capable camera. The sensor might be older than what is used in the latest smartphones, but it’s still an excellent sensor that is much larger. I imagine that you have a kit Zoom like the 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 VR. Add a 35mm prime and a flashgun, and you’ve got a super versatile kit that can capture photos that would be impossible to take with the iPhone. Of course you’re going to need a small bag for that kit, while the iPhone fits in a pocket. That means the iPhone is going to be able to capture photos you wouldn’t get with the D7000 because you didn’t want to carry it at the time.

If you are interested in continuing your development as a photographer: keep your D7000. It’s a great camera. Invest in a fast prime, a flashgun, or a tripod if you don’t have those items. Above all keep experimenting with S, A, and M modes so you learn to manage depth of field and shutter speed in creative ways. Use the iPhone for 4K video, instantly sharing photos, and for when you leave the Nikon at home.

Having said all that, you can certainly get some excellent photos with the X and you might enjoy it more. Plenty of photographers have gotten by with a very simple kit. It just depends on what you like to photograph.

Sean

Wow! Thank you for your insight post. Huge help. I use my prime 35mm lens 99% of the time. My other lens is huge lol. I even have a mid end manfrotto Tripod which rarely use that is only collecting dust. I have no idea what a flashgun is but I will look into it. I have one of those huge diffuser attachments for the flash as well but not taking advantage of it. Thanks again.

lah

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2010
Theres 3 types of people i find:

1. ones who want to go out and take pictures, and they are enthusiastic about it. They have a DSLR couple of lenses, and do it as a hobby. They dont mind carrying the equipment. While they may know some of what their equipment can do, they dont/cant get the most out of it. Buying more equipment is expensive and they might not find it worth it from what they can use it for.

2. Professionals who make photography their living. Know the ins and outs, take as much time as needed to get their shot. Spend time editing, processing, etc.. They know how to get the most out of every piece of equipment they have.

3. Average person who wants to take the best photo they can to capture the moments they care about. Social media users, etc.. They dont want to carry around equipment. They dont go out of their way usually for photography.

this is what i see each using:

1. DSLR/Smartphone- As smartphones are getting better, these types may not find what they can get out of their equipment worth the effort/cost. The difference in their shots between smartphones/dslr is not that different because they dont know how to get the most out of their equipment or they cant afford better equipment.

2 DSLR- self explanatory really. a high end dslr with a professional will always give a better shot than a smartphone. Larger sensors, better lenses, better AF, etc..

3. Smartphone- more than enough.

Again i know this is beating a dead horse, but the best camera is the one you have with you, and for most people they are category 3. I at one point wanted to play with DSLR, and considered it as a hobby, but I dont have the time and I dont want to carry the equipment when I travel, etc.. So to me its not worth getting a DSLR. It would be a waste with my skills

I think you missed another category. The type who is not really interested in the art of photography but more into having the latest and greatest gear and expects to take amazing photos just because they have “the best gear. ;).

bearkat2173

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2017
I am surprised that more people aren’t citing the lack of ability to use a large external flash. I am not much of a photographer, but I appreciate having a large flash to bound off of a ceiling or walls when taking pictures in a low light. I also agree with the comments about raw pictures, the software has way more ability to correct exposure with raw photos.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Lol what? HDR was on, and I tapped on the ice to expose. Not sure what your argument is, but smartphones are good for snapshots and that’s it. Nothing with long exposure, low light, action, anything that needs medium or long zooms, and so on
Not going to pick on your photography skills, I think both shots are fine for different reasons. I am also not saying that phones are better than a dedicated Mirrorless or DSLR. That said, I have some input on some of your comments.

1. You have been able to do long exposures (it is hidden in Live Photos when it is turned on). Not DSLR quality, and a Tripod is best, but the OIS and DIS do a decent job. (Both shots below taken with iPhone 7, no Tripod)
i-nTnBmJT-X3.jpg

i-cc9SNC6-X3.jpg

2. Low light on phones are quite good now, especially considering how long of an exposure and what ISO these devices choose to shoot at. I received quite a bit of vitriol for the comparison in the past, but if you attempt to hand hold a DSLR at the same ISO and similar exposure times, it is harder to get keeper shots. Sure the DSLR will have a much higher noise ceiling, and can easily get better shots at different settings, but the phones do quite well overall, and their OIS is quite good. This shot was taken with a 6S, clearly there is noise and grain, however not bad for a point and shoot.

i-5c5KKnc-X3.jpg

3. I don’t have any example shots at my disposal now, however you can get some good quality action shots outdoors with a smartphone these days, minus any zooming that you may need to do. My normal sport that I shoot is motocross / supercross. A fast pace sport that has quite a few printed examples of images that have made it into various magazines, all from smartphones. Sometimes it is the only camera the photographer is holding at the time, or, they have a 300mm lens on their SLR when they need a much wider shot. From Champaign spray, epic crash, or a quick pass to earn a title, smartphones have been plenty good at capturing this fast pace sport. While this use case requires a bit less zoom than something like Football, it is still an action shot.

I think like any photography tool, a lot of the value of an image comes with technique, timing, and even some talent. While a phone may not match SLR or Mirrorless quality, my phones (7, X and Pixel 2) are easily better than a couple of my newer point and shoot cameras.

I am surprised that more people aren’t citing the lack of ability to use a large external flash. I am not much of a photographer, but I appreciate having a large flash to bound off of a ceiling or walls when taking pictures in a low light. I also agree with the comments about raw pictures, the software has way more ability to correct exposure with raw photos.

I use Lume Cubes to get off phone lighting / flash. There are actually other solutions to use external hot shoes such as Tric flash. I haven’t tried that yet, but the potential is still there.

Reactions: bearkat2173

Dented

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2009
If you really can’t see the difference between pictures from an iPhone and from a Fuji APS-C camera then, the snobby but true answer is, the Fuji is wasted on you. Sell it to someone who’ll make better use of it, and enjoy your iPhone.

The Fuji is a better camera on every single level, but that’s worth nothing if you, as the photographer, aren’t able or willing to make the most of that.

Meanwhile, you’ll have to prise my X-Pro2 out of my cold dead hands before you see me swap it for any smartphone.

balzz

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2012
Folks remember the
If you really can’t see the difference between pictures from an iPhone and from a Fuji APS-C camera then, the snobby but true answer is, the Fuji is wasted on you. Sell it to someone who’ll make better use of it, and enjoy your iPhone.

The Fuji is a better camera on every single level, but that’s worth nothing if you, as the photographer, aren’t able or willing to make the most of that.

Meanwhile, you’ll have to prise my X-Pro2 out of my cold dead hands before you see me swap it for any smartphone.

I'm almost toying with the idea of an XE3 to supplement my XT2

bearkat2173

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2017
I use Lume Cubes to get off phone lighting / flash. There are actually other solutions to use external hot shoes such as Tric flash. I haven’t tried that yet, but the potential is still there.

That’s interesting. Although the reviews on the Lume Cubes don’t seem all that great (3.5 on Amazon). Doesn’t seem like there are any similar products from other companies. I’ll have to give this some more thought.

Dented

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2009
An exhibition of photographs taken by pro photographers using ultra-cheap disposable cameras provides food for thought. So often people focus on the technology rather than their creative picture-making skills.

http://www.indoek.com/archives/22611
The iPhone X is neither cheap nor disposable :)

The project you’re linking to kind of makes my point in a way. Passionate and practiced photographers (and they don’t have to be pros or even aspire to be) can absolutely take amazing pictures with the simplest equipment, and that comes from them, not the camera (or iPhone).

The flip side of that is, if you’re taking mediocre pictures with DSLR or a mirrorless, you’ll take mediocre pictures with an iPhone and probably be just as happy.

If on the other hand you’re taking amazing photos on an iPhone, you’ll take even more incredible pictures on a dedicated camera, with bigger sensor and greater creative control.

The photographers involved in that exhibition have produced great work, I’m sure, but how many will now be switching full time to a disposable film camera for everything going forward? Not too many I’ll wager.

At the end of the day yes, the technology is just a tool, but if you care about what you're doing, why wouldn’t you want to use the better tool? That will never be the iPhone, no matter how hard Apple try.

scgf

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2003
Market Harborough, UK
That's exactly the point I'm making. Let's not get so hung up on whether expensive equipment makes a great picture but more on the great photos you can take with almost any device if you have, or learn, the requisite skills. In other words you don't need expensive photo gear to create pleasing photos - whatever camera you happen to have with you will do the job. If that happens to be the one on your phone, great.
[doublepost=1510764561][/doublepost]
The photographers involved in that exhibition have produced great work, I’m sure, but how many will now be switching full time to a disposable film camera for everything going forward? Not too many I’ll wager.
Look up 'Lomography' a whole movement where photographers deliberately choose and use very cheap cameras to produce the most creative work.

Dented

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2009
I’m very aware of lomography, but it really has nothing to do with this discussion. The OP is choosing between two digital cameras (a great one in the Fuji, and a throughly mediocre one in the iPhone). It’s not a daring and creative choice to use the iPhone, it’s just mediocre - choosing to do the same thing as the Fuji but less well, and with less care, that’s all.

Last edited:

scgf

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2003
Market Harborough, UK
I'm just contributing to the discussion by pointing out that it is not necessarily the calibre of the equipment that results in great photographs. What I posted is completely relevant - a phone is fine. Even using Instagram on a phone is fine. Arguing about the equipment you use is some way down the list of important factors pertaining to making good photographs. I have been well into photography for 50 years or more and I now own no cameras apart from what is in my phone. I see so many people discussing specs and equipment - rarely do they seem to discuss creative photography.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I'm just contributing to the discussion by pointing out that it is not necessarily the calibre of the equipment that results in great photographs. What I posted is completely relevant - a phone is fine. Even using Instagram on a phone is fine. Arguing about the equipment you use is some way down the list of important factors pertaining to making good photographs. I have been well into photography for 50 years or more and I now own no cameras apart from what is in my phone. I see so many people discussing specs and equipment - rarely do they seem to discuss creative photography.
Actually the right tool for the right job. A brain surgeon can perform brain surgery using a hammer chisel and saw. Similarly you can use an iPhone to try and capture anything but there are scenes it would fail miserably no matter how skilled the photographer. Yet there are other scenes that would be awesome. The tool is just as important as the skill. This also has been discussed ad-nauseom.

Reactions: redman042

scgf

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2003
Market Harborough, UK
A brain surgeon using the wrong tools would be absolutely life threatening. Not a good analogy. I realised when I contributed to this thread my comments would not get much traction - most people here are tech heads after all. I will bow out now and just accept that you guys feel that specs trump creativity.

Reactions: MacQork
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.