Ditching Premiere, probably going FCP. Adobe, you did this to yourself.

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Pat H, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Pat H macrumors member

I posted a thread not long ago on the trouble I was having with Premiere and Encore CS3 for Mac. the programs are incredibly buggy and crash constantly. I attempted a clean install to no result. And I refuse to re-format and start from scratch just to try (in vein) to fix problems that other people report having all the time anyway.

As a last effort today, I called tech support to explain my issues. But rather than help, the first thing the person did was inform me that support is no longer offered for CS3 and that nay questions pertaining to it will cost me not 5, not 10, but $40! After saying screw that, I asked him if he expected Abobe to continue updating bugs in CS3 in the future, tow which I got a pretty quick no. :mad:

Since CS4 is currently just as buggy and I REFUSE to upgrade a product just to repair glitches that shouldn't be there in the first place, I have more or less decided that I am going to go with FCP when I upgrade next.

But unfortunately Final Cut Studio 3 isn't expected until April or so (at NAB), and I have a project that starts around March. So here's my question, shoulc I go with Studio 2 or try to stick it out as long as I can with premiere and go with Studio 3? If I buy 2 in March would I get a free upgrade in April since it's such a short period of time?

2. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

With hardware, I believe it applies to software also, you have 14 days. If a updated model is released in those 14 days then it's a free upgrade. There is almost no support that I have come by about FCS3 in April. If you have a project, then you have a project, unfortunately, you can't be waiting for an update if a client is waiting.:( FCS is due for an update though. Historically, there's been an update every 2 years at NAB. I think, and hope, there will be an update including a new Motion taking all of Shake's features and Shake being discontinued. Also improving the stability of Motion when working with large animations. I wish Apple would update Motion to be more like AE because now that CS3 is no longer supported I cannot be waiting for those bugs to be fixed.:mad: The same thing happen with the upgrade to CS and CS to CS2 and CS2 to CS3 and now CS3 to CS4. Adobe stops support literally the day after the successor's release! I think you will be very pleased with the stability of FSC.

David

3. Pat H thread starter macrumors member

Well I only edit on the side for extra money so thankfully my livelihood doesn't depend on it. However the client I am anticipating will want their completed product by the beginning of June. So I suppose I could delay editing and just work on the graphic design and photo-editing aspect up until April to see if FCS 3 manifests itself by then.

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Like FCPGG said, if you have a project you have a project. Assuming Apple announces FCS3 in April it probably won't start shipping until May or June (at least that's how it's been in the past).

Lethal

5. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Good point Lethal. To the OP, I would suggest not delaying because God forbid you run into a problem with FCP or your machine, then you won't have much extra time to fix it.

David

6. Mantat macrumors 6502a

Go FCP (or FCS), it is a fantastic product. I learned it by myself with the help of Lynda over a weekend (a very long weekend...).

BTW, I totally understand your frustration. In fact, this is how I switched to Mac: my PC failed, crap support, bought a Mac... It is only when we vote with our dollars that companies listen!

7. Chris7 macrumors 6502

You sound like a pro and I've also heard that Preimere users pick up FCP really fast. I'd like to recommend the Larry Jordan tutorials on lynda.com.

But like the others here, I wouldn't switch editing systems when you have a project due.

You'll want to keep in mind that FCS comes with only 3 months of tech support, and it's something like $800/year after that.

8. stevenapex macrumors newbie

I'd say given that AFCS3 is in an unknown state as of yet, take some time with Final Cut Express and see how you get on with that. You always have the upgrade path of FCE > FCS if you feel happy with the program.

I use FCE on my Macbook for quick edits on location, and FCE, Adobe After Effects, and I don't really do DVD anymore since the birth of YouTube and Vimeo, but if I would, I'd probably use something basic like iDVD.

Premiere users do pick up FC a lot quicker than, say, an Avid editor. However Final Cut is an amazing tool and providing you stick to Adobe Intermediate Codec for your external video (FC digitizes tapes in that, or DVCPro), you'll find editing far easier on FC than any other platform.

Any questions please dont hesitate to ask.

Steve