Ditching the 8, going back to 7

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by techjunkie25, Nov 10, 2017.

1. techjunkie25 macrumors newbie

Anyone dislike the iPhone 8 or the 8+ so much they’re going back to the 7 or 6s?

Are the upgrades from the 7 worth it?

What say ye?

2. Reno Raines macrumors 6502a

For me the upgrade from the 7 to the 8 was not huge but I love how fast the 8 is. I also like the glass back and added weight as it feels more like a phone to me and not an iPod Touch. The A11 Bionic processor is very fast and I see that keeping the phone quick for several iOS updates. Me personally I would not go back to the 7.

3. Another Day macrumors member

I went from 7+ to the X.

The 8/8+ never even crossed my mind.

If Apple didn’t release the X I would still be using my 7+.

4. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Can you expand on why somebody would revert back from the iPhone 8 to the iPhone 7? What dislikes could they possibly have with both phones being literally the same with obvious advantages to the iPhone 8. I have not heard or read anybody going from the iPhone 8 back to the iPhone 7.

5. KONVICTED Suspended

KONVICTED

Exactly! I would still be using my 7 if there was no X this year.

6. x-evil-x macrumors 68040

x-evil-x

same brotha. No way in hell I would of went from a 7+ to the same exact phone(almost exact)

7. Darkashnet macrumors regular

Darkashnet

I went from 6s to 8+. No regrets and couldn't go back. Although I would have liked the jet black 7 if my I didn't destroy my 5s before it came out. No interest in the X, the 8+ is the best phone Apple offers for me currently.

8. x-evil-x macrumors 68040

x-evil-x

What happens next year with the older design likers when they have to upgrade their 6,7 or 8's? Sure apple will offer the 8's at a discount and probably drop off the 7's but eventually you'll have to give up that design and TouchID. Thats if you want to upgrade to another top level iPhone.
    They might offer a 4" model of the 6's for an upcoming se upgrade and keep that in the lineup after they stop with the 8's

9. blcfla macrumors regular

Would of been hard for me to justify going from a 7 to an 8, but I went from 7 to 8+ & I wouldn't go back just because I like the size and especially the camera features & battery life. Big fan of true tone too, helps the eye strain for me anyway.

10. Greg M macrumors 6502

It was hard for me to justify going from the 6s plus to the 8 plus. I made the move yesterday only because I got a really good deal on an 8 plus from an X upgrader. Haven't had much time with the 8 but my initial thoughts were right, the 8 isn't that much of an upgrade over the 6s. For the way I use the phone the speed difference isn't noticeable. I do like true tone and the better camera. The camera would have been a huge upgrade if Apple had put the same camera setup as in the X. If not for the steep discount I got it wouldn't have been worth upgrading but that's because of the way I use the phone. For those that play games or do video it is worth the upgrade.

At least that's my first impression.

11. Falhófnir macrumors 6502a

Falhófnir

I mean, I can see why it would be very difficult to justify an upgrade from a 7 to an 8 in the first place, but if you already have an 8 I don’t see what benefit there is to going back? Unless you’re returning the 8 for a refund, I suppose.

12. terps2005 macrumors member

I went from 7+ to 8+ and while I didn't regret it I honestly didn't see it as an upgrade. In day to day use for me the 8+ was no different than the 7+.

13. mdx001 macrumors newbie

mdx001

I got the X but wasn't impressed for the price of it so I sent it back and went back to my 7.

14. pika2000 macrumors 68030

I am skipping both 7 and 8 and staying with my 6S. It’s especially not as much of a leap for the non Plus version. I’ll wait for 2018 iPhone, if it comes with 3/4GB of RAM without resorting to a Plus version.

Or I might consider an SE2 if Apple makes one.

15. DNichter macrumors 68040

DNichter

Same for me. 7+ is a better buy right now.

16. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

Went from 7+ to 8+ then reluctantly to the X.
    The X isn’t going anywhere. The 8 and 7 will be sold

17. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

If they release a black SE with slightly updated screen and internals, headphone jack & same price point next year, that would be the one iPhone model that would make me put my 7+ aside.

I love the Jet Black color too, so I am reluctant to let go of that.

No opinion about 8, 8+ or X as I am not ready to upgrade, and am not a power user. The newer phones would not make much difference to me specs-wise. I am just happy Apple still makes the 7/7+. Not sure when they'll stop making them (I would hope the 7 internals get into the next SE if the 7/7+ are axed.)

18. qba-system macrumors newbie

After a few (4) days with the X I decided to return it. It’s an interesting new concept, but for me the PLus-version is more usable and practical.

The question is, should I get the 8 Plus? I have 6S Plus currently and not sure if the upgrade makes sense. Either way I will change the phone next year when they, hopefully, release the X Plus.

19. kevink2 macrumors 65816

Possibly because the 8 is more fragile? For those who don't use cases. Or they really can't afford the new phone, which is possible because a phone is a big expense to many people who live paycheck to paycheck.

Now, I can see why you may not consider a 8 as being worth spending the money to upgrade from a 7. When I upgraded from 6, I went to the 7+ due to a bigger difference, battery life, and camera.

Now that the X is out, if something happened to my 7+, I wouldn't go with an 8 model. I looked at my first X in person yesterday, and I'm temped to go to it because of it's smaller size.

20. sartrekid macrumors 6502

The 8+ is a LOT better than the 7 Plus, imo. I absolutely love the 8 Plus. The 7 Plus was good, the 8 Plus is extraordinary.

21. JPack macrumors 65816

JPack

Can you qualify that? Besides a slightly better camera and wireless charging, the 8 isn’t much different from the 7. App load times are the same, battery life is the same.

22. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

The display is excellent.
    The wireless charging is slick as well.
    I noticed the performance of the 8+ much better especially in videos

23. sartrekid macrumors 6502

Screen is also slightly better, battery life is slightly better, the glass build is MUCH nicer for me, the performance is noticeably better as well. Overall, the iPhone 8 Plus is buttery smooth, super fast, and overall feels a lot more premium than my 7 Plus.