Ditching the desk. Getting a coffee table.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by NickD, Nov 26, 2009.

1. NickD macrumors 6502a

NickD

I'm doing a little experiment. For no reason really. Just because.

I'm getting rid of my desk and replacing it with a large coffee table, which will reside in front of my couch. I'll be using my MBP and doing homework on it for a while and seeing how it goes. Just experimenting with freeing up some space and seeing how I like it.

I was thinking that if working with the computer on my lap or bending over the coffee table got uncomfortable or impractical, I can just pick up a nice laptop desk for the couch and use that.

Also, I figure that if I really need to be working at a spacious desk-height surface, I can just head to one of the many coffee houses within a few miles of my place and set up there for a few hours.

Random, but I'm interested to see how it goes.

Figured I'd post. Thoughts?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Hey! Saw your blog post ... I mean post.

My thoughts, you seem young so your back can probably handle it. I for one need and want something that doesn't require me to bend down all of the time and let's me sit in a semi decent chair. Then again I spend about 16 hours on average at my desk in my home office a day.

3. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

I did the reverse. After about a year or so I was sick of crouching down to use my laptop on the coffee table. :p

I'm a lot happier now with a smallish glass desk in the corner. Doesn't take up too much space, but is at the right height for extended work.

If it works for you, though, do it!

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

5. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

i tried that, and the desk. Hate them both. Kitchen table is the only way to go. Nice and big, lots of room to spread out books etc. And close to the fridge for fud :p

6. Surely Guest

Surely

For extended periods of work, nothing replaces a proper chair and desk.

By working crouched over a coffee table, you can really mess up your posture.