Divide iTunes account/Library

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by arnolfo, Feb 9, 2013.

1. arnolfo macrumors newbie

My wife and I have shared one iTunes account since the itunes v1. I have my tunes (metal) and she has her tunes (not so metal) The one account is spread across two computers. Mine and hers.

I'd like to create a new account for my wife and then copy back all the music she bought from itunes and re-sync to her ipod. (wiping all previous data on the ipod)

I'd then get rid of her music from my account and end up with two separate accounts.

Other than burning multiple CDs, is there another way to make this possible?

2. jdogg836 macrumors regular

jdogg836

Possible, but it might not be very easy. How much of the music is still old DRM'd 128kb files? Those will only be tied to the original account. You could always redownload them in DRM free, but you have to delete and go through purchases to do so. Is her music solely on her computer, and yours solely on your computer or is both of your music collections mixed across both of the computers?

For non-DRM stuff, a USB drive or external harddrive is easiest. But first I'd need to hear the answers to the questions above to walk you through it.

3. arnolfo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply, JD

There are 639 songs that are .m4p (protected) The other are not. There are maybe 100 that are shared between the two, of which are what I listen to. I'd just delete those off wife's computer.

The hurdle is the drm material, i think...

a

4. arnolfo thread starter macrumors newbie

I think the program TuneClone may work for me.... I'm going give that a try.

Thanks for your assistance.