Divx 7 PROBLEM Snow Leopard:SOLVED!!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Vian the Lion, Aug 30, 2009.

1. Vian the Lion macrumors newbie

Anybody know how to make Divx 7 work? Downloaded it doesn't respond!

2. dinopoop macrumors newbie

Divx in Snow Leopard

Ya I noticed the same problem. However I found out that if you run safari in 32-bit mode it works fine. So to do so, locate Safari.app (in the applications folder) and right click -> get info, there will be a check box for 32-bit mode. Hope this helps.

3. Vian the Lion thread starter macrumors newbie

Divx runs when you check 32 bit mode

:)Way to go DinoPoop only a week and 1295 views before your response. It works!!! I guess when I wanna run Safari Pedal to the meta!l I uncheck 32 bit for Blazing Fast Web Surfin and Restart. Hey to the other 1294 Viewers hope it helps when you want to utilize Divx. Kudos
    BTW Just clicked Safari in the dock to finder and checked 32 bit startup.

4. JesusEdwardV6 macrumors newbie

so the DIVX web player doesnt work on the 64 bit version of Snow Leopard?

5. zen macrumors 68000

zen

Why bother with the DivX plugin? Just use Perian, works a treat in Snow Leopard.

6. Vian the Lion thread starter macrumors newbie

How does Perian Work?

Does'nt open for me, like switching to 32Bit in finder and restarting. How do we do it and still stay in 64 bit?

7. ako541 macrumors newbie

just use firefox, divx works fine in it on snow leopard

8. Fuchal macrumors 68020

After you install Perian, just use Quicktime Player to play DIVX files.

9. teeveec15 macrumors newbie

Use DIVX 6.7 to solve problem

I tried everything posted here and a few tips from elsewhere as well and nothing helped. My situation was green distorted video using Divx 7.2 web player with a clean install of Snow Leopard.

I uninstalled Divx 7.2 including the web plugin using CleanApp ( a great app by the way ) because it is very hard to properly remove Divx otherwise. I then reinstalled version 6.7. It seems to be impossible to delete your registration information so after you log out and in again 6.7 should be all set to go. After this web video was perfect once again. I am running Safari in 32 bit mode at the moment but intend to try 64 bit just out of curiosity.

It seems to me that the problem is not with Safari since I had the same issues with Firefox and even playing local video in latest Divx player. I suspect that the problem is not with Snow Leopard either but with the latest version of Divx which should not be a surprise. I have been a Divx user since the beginning and their record of Mac support has been spotty at best. They definitely favour their Windows customers.

As to why not use Perian? I do and I imagine most Mac users who want to get the most out of Quicktime also do but this will not help you if you want to watch streaming Divx online.

Hope this works for you.

10. gr8one macrumors newbie

Difference between running Safari in 64 bit mode and 32 bit mode

My 1st post in this forum.

Dinopoop's suggestion to run safari in 32 bit mode resolved the problem of Divx streaming videos not playing (Tried both Safari and Firefox), having divx 7.2 installed now. Safari didn't play the video in 64 bit and Firefox crashes if I try to play any video after about 2 or 3 minutes of buffering.

I just wanted to know if anyone could tell me what difference it makes running Safari in 32 bit mode or 64 bit mode.

Thanks.

11. LiSrD macrumors newbie

i didn't want to switch to 32 bit, my boyfriend suggested i just download firefox and try divx from there, it worked =3 it was a lot easier and more benefitial of a solution. i hope this was helpful.

12. CarminPolitano, Dec 25, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2010

CarminPolitano macrumors newbie

CarminPolitano

Same Problem

I have been trying to get DivX to work on MacPro 1,1 for years now. I have never had any measure of success. 1294 viewers are probably mostly like me... looking for a solution that actually works.

Ah ha! Works. Firefox and wait for the whole movie to load. I always had Perian which might conflict with the DivX player which mayHave been my problem.

Thanks,

13. paskymac macrumors newbie

any luck with downgrading divx?

Has anybody had any luck downgrading their divx?

Teeveec15 - I know you did and it seems to have worked for you. I just recently downgraded both to divx 6.7 and to divx web player 1.4.

I'm using Chrome, and the streaming video loads much faster. But when I go to full screen, I get a white letter box that blocks my view.

Anybody in this same situation, or have any thoughts on how to get rid of this screen?

I've been reading that it's the auto-update window, but I do not know how to block it.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

14. space-dust macrumors newbie

When that happens, in fullscreenmode, just do right click, select "full screen mode" and then press esc, so you can exit, then you can click on the dialog an close it. Found it out some day :D

15. wltg macrumors newbie