Divx, Avi etc video codecs and the iPad

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by Brokebroker83, May 11, 2010.

1. Brokebroker83 macrumors member

Hi all,

I just jailbroke my iPad and was wondering if there were any Cydia apps that would allow me to play movies without having to convert them into the Apple specific formats.

Meaning I just want to be able to drop them into the iPad and play them. I use Air Video for streaming, but since I have the wi-fi only version, that option is not very convenient all the time.

I was thinking something like Coreplayer, which I used on my Nokia phone - it worked great with no lag in video or audio.

I tried out yxflash and VLC4iPhone, but sadly both of them are too laggy to actually enjoy watching videos on this beautiful device.

Anyone try any other apps or have any ideas on how to get this much needed functionality on the iPad.

I'm sure many people have tons of video on the computers which they would like to be able to play without having to go through the time consuming process of converting each and every file.

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Any video player app would likely need to use software decoding of the file - big battery draw.

Just convert them to H.264 - easy.

3. tacoshell macrumors regular

It does not look to be there yet (you have tried the current alternatives), but it will be, that I am sure of. XBMC port would be mad kick ass, but not holding my breath. More likely to see a Perian style answer.

4. chris8535 macrumors member

UM! Excuse me but -- AIR VIDEO -- you don't even need jailbreak, it converts on the fly.

5. tacoshell macrumors regular

Love Air Video but it only works in coverage. If you want to watch on a plane or on the road, that is what we are referring to.

6. Brokebroker83 thread starter macrumors member

Perhaps something like vlc4ipad. I think he ipad should be able to handle to extra work in running non-apple supported files. Sure the battery might suffer a bit when playing those videos, but for me its worth the price of not having to convert my entire video collection.

Also, to all those suggesting Air video, we are looking for a good video player which can work offline.

7. jroeben macrumors newbie

8. Brokebroker83 thread starter macrumors member