DivX converter--- no sound

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by giyad, Apr 6, 2008.

1. giyad macrumors regular

I tried to convert an mpg with divx converter using the home theater setting. I can't get the sound to work though. Does anyone know whats wrong here? The video encodes fine from a 215mb file to a 20mb file but the sound isn't there

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Files with the .mpg extension are really MPEG-1, usually multiplexed (or muxed) MPEG-1. This means that they are composed of a single track which contains both the video and audio. This is an old and dying format. As for DivX, it is based on the Microsoft's rejected draft proposal for MPEG-4. It was popular a few years ago, but seems to have lost favor to genuine MPEG-4, H.264, and its nonstandard clones like x264. Long story short--MPEG-1 is old but it is also playable everywhere--Windows, Mac, and Linux--without additional software. There is no need to convert it. Why do you want to?

3. giyad thread starter macrumors regular

Well, the file i have is 215mb and i want to shrink it... I figure divx can convert the file to a 20mb one so thats cool, but the audio gets lost

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

My 8 GB thumb drive can hold 36 of your 215 MB videos. Really, how limited is your space?

5. giyad thread starter macrumors regular

It has nothing to do with limited space, I want to post my video online and I don't want to upload something that 215mb...