divx & digital out

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by drvolks, Apr 19, 2007.

1. drvolks macrumors newbie

Hello,

I just bought a new mac mini. I use it as a media center. The little beast runs great. I was able to set up everything the way I wanted except one thing: I want Mac OS to send the digital AC3 signal directly to the home theater amp instead of decoding the ac3 itself. This way I would get true 5.1 sound...

This works great with DVDs. There's a setting in the dvd player to send the dolby signal to the digital out. I don't believe there's such a setting in quicktime/front row for DivX.

Maybe there's a third party app for this?

Thank you

JF

2. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Tried VLC player?

I have downloaded and watched HD movies with Dolby 5.1 sound using this app on my Logitec Z-680 speaker set attached to my Quad G5.
    Works brilliantly!!

Check the prefs:

Attached Files:

3. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

4. drvolks thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you! VLC did the trick.

"force dolby detection" didn't work but I was able to send a dolby signal to my amp by selecting "build-in output (encoded output)" in the audio menu.

Is there a way to make it the default selection? Everytime I restart VLC it goes back to the non-encoded build-in audio.

Hopefully this feature will be part of a future front row update. I can't start VLC and select all those settings with the Apple remote!