divx, help splitting

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MoncoZero, Jan 19, 2008.

1. MoncoZero macrumors member

My dvd player can play divx files I burn to CDs. Though some divx files are larger than 700 MB and don't fit.

Is there a way to split a divx file into two parts?

Will I have to buy a program?
    Any recommendations?

Thanks

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

ffmpegx can help you split the divx videos.

so does avidemux.

3. Bad Cyborg macrumors newbie

Been a while since I used it. But if memory serves, ffmpegX has a very flawed AVI splitting. Files that are split can't be joined later. To be safe I'd normally split the AVI/MKV on Windows, because let's face it, those formats have barely rudimentary support on the Mac. To date there isn't a single program on the Mac that can do half of what VirtualDub is capable of. I'm speaking of framerate conversion, video filtering, AC3 5.1 muxing, etc. Not to mention precise keyframe splitting.

4. randomlinh macrumors newbie

this has been one of my biggest gripes so far... can't find a replacement for virtualdub. I don't want to have to boot up/virtual XP for it, but it's getting to that point.

5. macffooky macrumors regular

D-Vision 3 is the best option. Go to the Tools menu and select 'segment avi file".

6. macffooky macrumors regular

If you don't mind X11‚ avidemux fills in some more of those gaps.

7. randomlinh macrumors newbie

dvision has been hit or miss for me unfortunately :( and as for x11... I try to stay away from it.

8. macffooky macrumors regular

It's been a while since I split anything with it but I remember I had to choose a fairly unintuitive option to get the kind of split I required
    I'm sure X11's enthusiastic admirers are few and far between but it's marginally better than rebooting into Windows...well, some of the time at least.