DivX is Fail...so what now?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Mizuni, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Mizuni macrumors newbie

Here is the unhappy event taking place on my computer. I'm on a site where I can watch movies and TV shows for free. But to watch most of them in the best format, I need to install a plugin. Well the link gives my a textedit form because it's not a download for mac. So I start looking and I have ended up installing the following with no luck getting the movies to work:

-DivX video for Mac
    -VLC for Mac
    -DivX Converter

I'm kind of at my wits end with this. I've looked all of the internet no luck, but would really enjoy watching movies. So can anyone help me? (Downloaded the DivX from the DivX site and VLC from the VLC site).

2. simsaladimbamba

Those "Divx" codecs those sites want you to download and install are not meant for Mac OS X, but for Windows. The download site is not even the official Divx site, so it is safe to assume, that the "Divx" they offer you is shady and maybe even ridden with some kind of Windows malware, therefore you can't watch those videos.
    There are plenty of ways to do it otherwise, but it is not allowed to talk about it here.

3. Mizuni thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah, I see. Well thank you for telling me otherwise. I will get rid of the software I downloaded since it is no use to me.

I'll just have to live with it ^^