divx player starting problem

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by funkypepper, Jun 8, 2007.

1. funkypepper macrumors member

I've just downloaded DivX player trial and installed it.. When I tried to launch it gave the following error:

To be true, I didn't understand anything. There's no single problem in my system. Do I have to install a patch or something like that?

Thanks

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

You downloaded the DIVX installer package from www.divx.com, right? The download file is a disk image. Did it mount successfully, and did you end up with an installer package (icon looks like an open cardboard box)? And then did this error come up there?

3. 4np macrumors 6502a

4np

Don't install that crap... download VLC (videolan) and use that... no hassle with drivers and weird players...

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Now I don't understand this, but there are a couple of sites that use the DivX web player, and for reasons I don't understand, the embed doesn't play using anything else -- like it won't work with Quicktime and Perian.

The DivX software isn't perfect...it's far from it. But they seem serious about development, and it does have some nice features, and they were even nice enough to give out free licenses yesterday!

5. funkypepper thread starter macrumors member

Yes, exactly as you mention. Installation finished, I closed the installer, then it gave the error. I already have VLC installed on my system, but the free licence was one of the reasons that convinced me. Perhaps I'm not gonna use it as a no1 player, but I want to see what it can do, and the error puzzled me a lot. I want to make sure everything's goin' right.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The error came *after* the installer finished? Hmmm, strange! I don't know. I guess I would let it slide for a while and see if any other errors crop up. It might be some kind of corrupt preference file related to the OS X installer application that is used to install the installation packages.