DivX Plus HD still not available on OSX?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by djrobsd, Jan 15, 2010.

1. djrobsd macrumors 6502a

It seems even after the latest software updates to DivX for the Mac, they are still not offering the DivX Plus HD profile in the DivX converter. I have already invested a significant amount of time and processor resources on my PC converting hundreds of my DVD's to this format, as I believe the video quality versus disk space are the best in its class. A typical DVD takes about 1.2 gigs of hard drive space with very minimal loss in quality!

With that said, can I use Handbrake to get the same results? If so, do you have any suggestions on the options I should choose ? I should note this is what DivX says their Plus HD is:

DivX Plus™ HD (MKV/H.264/AAC)

2. djrobsd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Found this on Divx's site, may be useful, but I haven't tested yet:

http://labs.divx.com/node/15257

Here's the following for your advanced options:
    level=40:ref=2:bframes=2:subq=6:mixed-refs=0:
    weightb=0:8x8dct=0:trellis=0:vbv-maxrate=20000:
    vbv-bufsize=25000

Basically, you'll want to make an MKV with H.264 (L 4.0) video and AAC audio. SRT subtitles and chapters are also supported, and you actually have more latitude than the string I posted above, but we wanted to put something out there so people buying DivX Plus HD devices can start to use Handbrake. We'll probably add a few more suggested presets as people ask questions, and we're also going to come up with one for people that want to create MKV videos to stream with our DivX Plus Web Player off their web sites.