Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

meganb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2005
Hi all

I have NO idea what I am doing here. I downloaded a couple of avi files from Limewire. One I put through DivX worked fine - vision and sound, the other - vision only.

I have heards about something called codecs ... what are these, do I need them, if so where can I get them?

PLEASE help if you can.

TIA

Meg

BillHarrison

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2003
meganb said:
Hi all

I have NO idea what I am doing here. I downloaded a couple of avi files from Limewire. One I put through DivX worked fine - vision and sound, the other - vision only.

I have heards about something called codecs ... what are these, do I need them, if so where can I get them?

PLEASE help if you can.

TIA

Meg

Meg, it is my understanding that quicktime CANNOT play some types of sound encoding back via divx or xvid. I am not aware of why this is the case. There is a "repair" program that reads the divx, and rewrites it so it is playable for you. Here is the link:

http://doctor.3ivx.com/

It takes the divx, and rewrites it (and quickly too, on my stock Mini 1.25ghz it took less than a minute) into a .Mov file, which then played back perfectly on my system, with audio, etc.

I had the same problem you are, and this should fix you up. While I would prefer being able to simply play the divx movies, as I have my entire collection of DVD's ripped, this does work. And it does not modify the original divx, but makes a copy that has been modified, so you still have the untouched divx when your done.

Thats the best solution i have so far, but I am a 1 week mac user, so perhaps those with more knowledge can step in with a better solution?

Bill

meganb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2005
Thanks Bill. I found DivX Dr 11 only to discover PC lovin' boyfriend had already dloaded it and run movie through it. Seems the problem is with the movie anyway as other avis are now working ... AND the blasted thing is in SPANISH!!! lol. VERY VERY new at ripping here. Thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.