Divx problem on intel based mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kaby, Jun 30, 2008.

1. kaby macrumors newbie

hi

i got an intel based macbook (new user of mac)
    and well when im trying to play avi files in QT i get a red text saying that my trail time is out, even thought the divx version i have isn't in any type of trail mode. I've searched the forums but was unable to find an answer.

i also found a beta version of divx wich is suposed to work better on intel based mac's but when i uninstalled my divx and tried to install the beta version it told me i already had a later version of divx installed, even thought id searched and removed it all.

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

remove the divx codec from your QuickTime folder and install Perian which is much better for Divx playback and more up to date. while your at it install Flip4Mac's WMV components too. both make a good combo.

you can also use VLC if you want which has built in codecs but i find its much more unstable than QuickTime Player and doesnt integrate within the OS as much as QuickTime.

3. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

You mean "Trial", not "Trail".

It looks like you downloaded the entire package which includes the "Pro" software.

Go into /Library/QuickTime and remove the "pro" versions of the divx codec. Then reboot and try again.

4. kaby thread starter macrumors newbie