Divx question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Benz63amg, May 20, 2011.

1. Benz63amg macrumors 68000

Benz63amg

hey guys, how many of u have Divx installed to allow Quicktime to play divx files?

i heared of perian but many ppl say it causes kernel panics so i dont want to install that by any means, should i install Divx for mac 7.2? i mean , its an outdated codec from 2009, they havent updated it at all since then.

the other option is to play everything with vlc but does anyone do that?

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I have VLC but I also have flip4mac to play wmv files. I agree that I wouldn't touch anything that is known to cause kernel panics but I would check into it more before I believe a handful of internet posts about kernel panics. :eek:

3. Benz63amg thread starter macrumors 68000

Benz63amg

yes i have flip4mac too for wmv support and i use vlc for everything but i kindda miss the ability to play divx and avi files with the trusty and fully integrated quicktime X which also allows u to play the video WITHIN the thumbnail view in folders.

I dont want to take any chance with perian, should i install divx or just use VLC and be done with it?

does divx slow down the system or anything like that?

4. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Sorry I don't know about any option other than vlc. Perhaps someone will come along who knows more about options to play back divx.

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I have the Flip4Mac codec (which has nothing to do with DivX), the Perian codec suite, and the DivX codec installed. I also have VLC, but virtually never use it and never need it. I have no idea who the "many ppl" having problems with Perian are. Quite frankly, yours is the very first post on this forum to mention such problems. No member of any of the other Mac sites that I frequent ever reported such problems. Neither I nor anyone that I know has ever had such problems. I could be wrong, but I'm betting that "many ppl" are full of it.

As for DivX being updated, well it is the DivX codec. It is as up-to-date as DivX content. My personal opinion is that creating DivX content is silly when you have access to genuine MPEG-4. It is even sillier when you have H.264. However, as a playback codec, it is the DivX codec.

6. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

+1

I have installed Perian on many, many Macs (including all of my own) and have never once encountered a kernel panic because of it. I seriously suggest looking at Perian, it's pretty fantastic. As MisterMe also pointed out, what's wrong with the official DivX codec? Are there DivX videos you can't play? If so, do you have any way to tell if they were encoded correctly?

Could you show us where you found the information saying that tons of people were having kernel panics because of Perian?

7. Benz63amg thread starter macrumors 68000

Benz63amg

the reason i asked about divx codec is because its an old and unupdated codec and since it has no mention to being snow leopard compatible i was scared to install it.

and heres the post where i found perian causing problems:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t197438.html

because of that post alone i dont want to install perian.

So should i go ahead and install divx? i dont need perian for all the other codecs, i only want divx support and ill use VLC for everything else.

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

So you won't install perian because it has issues on unsupported hackintoshes:cool: and they don't even conclusively say it's perian...

9. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Yup. The issue with Perian was a maybe at best, it's completely possible that there was something else wrong with the system. Those posts are also about 1.5 years old, and Perian has been updated many times since then. The issue was also on a Hackintosh, as duke said. All bets are off on a Hackintosh, and problems on a Hackintosh of this sort have no bearing on a Mac.

There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to distrust Perian. This is bordering on paranoia.

That being said, if all you want is DivX support, go ahead and install the DivX codec. The easiest way to figure this thing out is to try it. Assuming you use TimeMachine, any problems can be easily restored away. Snow Leopard and Leopard are essentially the same OS for a lot of things. This isn't strictly true, but for codecs it is. If it supports Leopard, it will work with SL just fine.