DIY: 2009 Logic Board into old Blackbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MitchT, Jul 4, 2009.

1. MitchT macrumors newbie

I've searched everywhere but haven't seen any threads about this crazy idea I have.

I love my blackbook, it's amazing, but the Intel GMA950 is killing me. I see the white macbook with it's flashy FSB and 9400M and I want it. But I love the sweet black case.

My questions are these:

1. Is there anyway I can go about getting the black case wrapped around the new macbook logic board? Can I order one off iFixit and swap out the old for the new? Are the connectors/screws the same?

2. Would it be possible to buy a new whitebook, and then swap the case with my old black one? How hard would this be?

My blackbook is totally out of warranty, so I'm really not super concerned about that. I think this could be a really interesting project, and one that will keep my beloved "Othello" running far into the future. Just wanted to see if you guys had any experience in what I'm thinking of doing.

Cheers,

-Mitch

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

No and no. They're different shapes.

This is more feasible, but you might run into some issues with differing firmware on the two models. Not sure though.

3. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

If the entire case is changed but electronics are the same, there won't be any firmware issues since no new hardware is introduced. This sounds like a workable idea. Worst case scenario is the lineup of the logic board screws to the case. Get a disassemble diagram and compare first.

You will not have a warranty this way though.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Oh right... with a case swap it should be fine. Oops.

5. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

No worries. Good project though. OP, I'd say if you're comfortable with laptop disassembly then it's worth a shot.

6. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

And if you have the money ;D

7. kkim0228 macrumors newbie

OR
    get a new whitebook and leave it to the professionals to PROFESSIONALLY paint it black?

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Read the thread title: do you know what DIY means?

9. MedHead macrumors regular

I've seen a whitebook sprayed back and it just didnt look the same. But if you'd prefer that option then this might help.

10. MitchT thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the great replies guys.

I've looked at colourwarePC, but it doesn't look like they paint the keyboard and track pad, so that might look a tad awkward. I like all black, haha.

sporadicMotion
    , do you know where I could find disassemble diagram?

My blackbook has been out of warranty for like a year now, and the whitebook I'd get is cheap enough that if I blow the install, I'm not too behind (it'll hurt, but not that bad)

If it works, I can recoup some of the losses by selling the old Previously-Black-But-Now-Whitebook :p

-Mitch

11. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

dye macbook!

not really (die) or course, but dye. two people on the boards that i can think of, and one was actually using a white macbook, dyed it orange or red if i remember right.

OrangeSVTguy is another member, and dyed an ibook black, that's the thread in the link. might drop him a message and see if he would turn your white plastic into black plastic.

love the idea, pictures required after you're done no matter how you do it! best of luck.

12. aleksandra. macrumors 6502a

My friend has a mid-2007 BlackBook... the logicboard failed (out of warranty) and was replaced with one from WhiteBook. It was the same model so it obviously worked, the point is some areas around the ports are apparently white now :).

13. MitchT thread starter macrumors newbie

Looks pretty neat, except for the white keyboard, although, I suppose I could swap the keys out. I don't quite have the money to do anything right now, I'm sort of in the planning phase right now.

When I do get up to doing this I will post pics. I think I'll practice laptop construction/deconstruction on an old HP laptop I have.

14. nineohtoo macrumors 6502

nineohtoo

aleksandra, Any pics of that macbook? I wanted to do that myself, buy a broken black macbook, and get a used 9400m macbook and swap the internals like that.

Not that there's anything wrong with my 4,1 BlackBook, but in case something did, I'd like for it to live on :D

15. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...yeah, I was hopeful that when my NVidia whitebook develops the "cracking" issue I'll be able to see if :apple: has any black cases left over that they'd like to swap it into for me...

16. aleksandra. macrumors 6502a

I can try to get some but not before mid-July at best (she's traveling now and by the time she's back I'll have left, so...). Anyway it's only around (more inside of) ports IIRC... I didn't look at it long, just enough to see a black-and-white MacBook still looked black to me ;). You can probably get an idea of it looking at the logicboard (that's why there are separate versions for black and white MacBooks available, btw).

17. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

For $20 if you were in the DIY mood, a black plastic skin would likely be easier.

Or simply have a custom one printed on the plastic wrap printers and go for something like leopard skin.

18. nineohtoo macrumors 6502

nineohtoo

Thanks, that's good to know that if my macbook ever dies, it can be revived with a 9400m and a faster fsb :D

19. MitchT thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I had a quick look around iFixit and couldn't see anything that gives a direct comparison to how the 9400m boards and anchored and how the GMA 950 boards are.

Anyone have any specs or pics or diagrams? If the screws and mounting points are the same, it should be fine. If they aren't, anyone have work arounds?

Also, if anyone has found a step-by-step guide on swapping cases, that would be much appreciated.

[EDIT] Looking at the various repair guides at iFixit, it looks like the Santa Rosa/Penryn models have a slightly different layout than the BlackBook I have (Rev. C.). I think if one were to do the switch, you would need at least Rev. D or higher, in order for the internal layout to match what the current Whitebook is.

iFixit has some close up details of the logic boards from a X3100 MacBook and from a 9400m MacBook, and while certain parts seem a bit different, the holes for screws seem to all be the in the right place. Is it definite that a straight logic board swap couldn't occur?

For reference:

Old 2.4GHz, X3100

New 2.0GHz, 9400m

20. nickXedge macrumors 6502

nickXedge

I don't know if this is an issue for you but I noticed no one else made the observation. The ports on the left side aren't going to lineup. The new ones have FW800 and Mini DisplayPort. I guess if you're crafty you can carve out the extra to make them fit, but it would be real tough to make it look legit. Correct me if I'm wrong about this, but I see it as an annoying issue with potential to ruin the whole project.

21. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The new Macbook Pros have the ports you mentioned, but the Macbook does not. He's talking about buying a white macbook and switching the internals, not the macbook pro.

22. MitchT thread starter macrumors newbie

Indeed. And on that point, has anyone looked at the photos etc? I'm wondering if everyone thinks I'm crazy, haha.

Any tips on where to start?

23. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

I was just about to mention that! Thanks :cool:

I have the links in my sig ;)
    But yes, I would do it for you.

24. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

If I were you I would sell the black macbook you have now and use that money to fund the new whitebook. Then buy black macbook parts on ebay for a fraction of the cost. Unless of course you want 2 laptops.

25. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

If you buy the White Nvidia, all you'd need are the keys from a Blackbook which you already got and then dye the rest black. That way you have the matching keys and not white ones, same goes for the trackpad.

Of course this will kill your warranty.