DIY cMP under-desk suspension.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by mattspace, May 6, 2016.

1. mattspace macrumors 6502

mattspace

hi folks,

Just thought id share a few pics of a simple diy solution to mount the cMP on the underside of a desk, for people who are short on knee & foot space, and want to keep access to the inside of their machine, plus free airflow etc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All threaded galvanised pipe. Its suppsed to be a plumbing product, but as a guy at the hardware store remarked once, its mostly used by people making furniture now.

Bits on the end unscrew to make it easier to lift the machine on to them, and go back on to provide a bit of a safety lip. Electrical tape to pad the galvanised pipe and stop and metal on metal contact.

Cheers.

2. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 68040

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

Nice. There is a company that offers an underside desk mount but you did it better.

3. thornslack macrumors regular

4. mattspace thread starter macrumors 6502

mattspace

I remember looking at something like that years ago, and from memory It was in the >$100 range.

5. DPUser macrumors 6502a

6. ifraaank macrumors regular

ifraaank

This is really a fantastic idea.. I might try doing that on my desk as soon as I'm done building it. :D

7. AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

8. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Good work..I just stick my tower in an Ikea cabinet with no back because I'm not creative and don't want to see my computer

9. phillyboy82 macrumors regular

phillyboy82

I like it! Looks very straightforward to do.

Do you by chance have the space dimensions that we should be going for when we mount the hangers?

10. mattspace thread starter macrumors 6502

mattspace

I honestly didn't record any. I just took the threaded pipes out of the elbows and put my computer on the upturned desk in the place I wanted it to be, then put the assembled flanges and elbows where I wanted them to be for the end of the machine they were on the outside of (in this case, the exhaust side). Then, measured the length of the mac to locate the second pair. Given the machine is the same top and bottom it's pretty straightforward.

11. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Hmmm, I suppose with different pipe spacing you could also mount the Mac Pro horizontally with the door facing down for access.

12. AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

Might be a problem for knee room - but sure.

13. scott.n, May 11, 2016
    Last edited: May 11, 2016

scott.n macrumors 6502

For horizontal mounting, I'd have the door facing up. I wouldn't want gravity working against the HDDs, PCIe cards, or the processor tray - especially when the door was opened.

14. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

If face up, may be can keep the door open for better cooling. Nothing can get in anyway.

15. AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

Door open would give worse cooling.

The design is for front to back airflow. With the door open you'd have dead spots - for example the PCI fan airflow would go out the door, not over the PCIe cards and out the back.

16. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

Yes, agree with this if the Mac Pro in normal orientation. TBH, to place it horizontally, I have absolutely no idea keep the door close will be better or worse.

Hot air rise, if put it horizontally and open the door, the hot air generated from the device can easily rise. So, this should give better cooling. However, as you said, the air flow now no longer directed correctly, which may reduce the airflow on certain area. Therefore, this is an unknown.

In fact, I think just place the Mac Pro horizontally is already an unknown to the cooling effect. The Mac Pro's cooling system should design according to hot air rise, by putting it horizontally, the original designed airflow may be affected already.

Most likely some area will be better, but some area getting worse. And since the better cooled area cannot compensate the worst cooling area. Any one of the device overheat may effectively kill the Mac Pro. So, we better keep it like what OP does, and keep the door close. Rather than create the "uneven cooling" effect.

17. AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

Yes, but circulation is more powerful than convection.

The current case blocks convection by having different fan zones.

cooling[1].jpg

18. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

Thanks for teaching me this. Learn something today.

Anyway, that means this is still the best choice. Should be relatively easy to hang like this under the desk.
    cooling[1].jpg

19. AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

..as long as there's plenty of clearance on top. The original design would put the top very close to the desk surface, which might partially block the exhaust air.

I'd be more concerned with making sure that the hot exhaust air isn't trapped under the desk and circles back into the intake.

20. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

You're neglecting the work the fan would need to do to lift the air against gravity.

21. scott.n, May 12, 2016
    Last edited: May 12, 2016
  22. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

Is that significant at all?

23. AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

Yes, that's why we don't have hot air balloons.

61a71b18490b3503efd7ac2b66eb878a[1].jpg

24. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

What is that third balloon, a bottle of Scotch?

25. AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw