[DIY] Custom Iphone 4 Car Mount ( In Progress)

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Shenaniganz08, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Shenaniganz08 macrumors 6502

Jan 26, 2010
    Hi guys been a long time since I posted
    My last DIY guide was on how to restore an iPhone 3G

Got a few mods I would like to share in the coming weeks, Starting with my custom iPhone 4 holder
    I had a Ram Mount for my Iphone 3G and really enjoyed using it. While Proclip had a fancier looking solution, it did not allow you to customize the mounting the way Ram Mount lets you (literally hundreds of different combination). But I really liked how Proclip had mounts that let you just slide your phone in and out. When I purchased my iPhone 4 I wanted to buy a mount that also had a passthrough cable. Unfortunately they don't make one for the iPhone 4 + OEM bumper, so I was left with the only solution available = Making my own

First I started with my own creation Proclip dock + ram mount rubber ball to allow me to use all of the Ram Mount options

Carefully drilled and screwed in 4 screws + Nuts

Using A dremeled I removed all the extra screw/nut/Labeling that was on the Ram Mount Using a Fiberglass Dremel Cutoff Wheel
  2. Shenaniganz08 thread starter macrumors 6502

Jan 26, 2010
    Will update with additional pics, steps but here are the final shots

As you can see my goal was to make a dock that would allow me to simply drop it in, and have it charge and output Audio and Video.

No cables showing, no need to plug/unplug USB cables.