DIY fusion drive, question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Dentifrice, May 20, 2013.

1. Dentifrice macrumors 6502

Hello,

I have a mac mini 2011 with both SSD and hard drive

I want to create my own DIY fusion and I found this :

http://blog.macsales.com/15617-creating-your-own-fusion-drive

A 2012 Mac mini – this is an absolute requirement as these are the only machines that currently have a version of Disk Utility that can create a Fusion volume

Most of the terminal command setups we’ve seen online are only initiating that Core Storage volume. It needs the software to run the automated storage tiering to make it a true Fusion Drive. So far we’ve only seen that software component in the 2012 Mac mini models that ship with their specific build of 10.8.2

So I'm not concerned about creating the core storage volume but more about the software that moves the data to make it a real fusion drive.

and what about 10.8.3 ?

thanks

2. Bear macrumors G3

Look at the date on the blog posting. Of course it works with 10.8.3 and also the current iMacs also support fusion drives.

3. Dentifrice thread starter macrumors 6502

so you can confirm, 100 % sure, that it will work as a fusion drive, not just as a logical volume (core storage) ? Data will be moving from one drive to another like a real fusion ?

I'm trying to find this information. Do you have links that prove it ?

thanks

4. Bear macrumors G3

If you had searched these forums, you would've found many people who have done their own "Fusion" drives.

Remember the article says it is only available on Mac minis, however, it is obviously working on the current iMacs. Therefore the article is out of date.

5. Dentifrice thread starter macrumors 6502

I did searched the forum, I didn't find the answer if it really act like a real fusion. Only people creating the array to get a working logical volume.

I know the article is out of date but that doesn't mean because Imacs now support it that it works like it should with DIY solution.

Apple just loves to restrain you from doing this kind of tweaks... I don't want to format all my drives and restore it for nothing.