DIY Fusion Drive Questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by p3ntyne, Feb 1, 2014.

1. p3ntyne macrumors 6502

p3ntyne

Hi Everyone,

I just had some questions about creating a DIY fusion drive on a mac (I cannot find solid answers online...) Firstly, when the computer is just using the SSD (e.g. when doing light web browsing, some system applications etc.,) will the performance be compromised compared to if I was just using the SSD?

Secondly, I have heard that the you should keep SSD's approx. 10% empty - with a fusion drive, would the system completely will the SSD and then start using the HDD, or leave some space on the ssd too (mostly curious about this one, the SSD that I have got is from OWC and has 7% overprovisioning.)

Thank you.

2. p3ntyne thread starter macrumors 6502

p3ntyne

Oh, one other thing: Will the 7200 rpm drive be constantly spinning at full speed or will it be just spinning slowly until it is being used?

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you put the hard drive in the optical drive bay, I believe it will always be spinning.

Why not use the SSD for the system, and the hard drive for the data?

As for your apps slowing down, Fusion will determine what is mostly used and keep that on the SSD. I don't think you'll see a performance drop in surfing or other system applications that you asked but since I don't use fusion I can't say for sure.

4. p3ntyne thread starter macrumors 6502

p3ntyne

Thanks, I guess it would be spinning all the time...

Also, I am leaning towards the fusion drive as I am fairly confident that an operating system can manage what goes where better than me - I just want it to work, simply.