DIY Fusion - Drive Swap?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Corrode, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Corrode, Oct 28, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2013

Corrode macrumors 6502a

Corrode

I have a 2009 13" MBP and have just set up my first Fusion Drive in it. However, I am running into a problem that has my SATA speed negotiated to 1.5 gbps. I have a Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB in there. I know this isn't one of the recommended SSDs but I'm not about to go return it as I bought it while in the states.

Apparently this issue is due to the Sandforce controller version 2281 not playing nice with the Nvidia chipset.

The funny thing is, I am getting a 3gbps negotiated speed on my old 500GB drive in the optibay. What I'm thinking is if I swap the drives, maybe it will negotiate 3gbps for the SSD in the optibay.

My question: can I just swap the drives even though I already have the Fusion set up or do I need to do a complete recreation of the Fusion Drive with the drives in their new positions.

Thanks in advance for the help!

2. Corrode thread starter macrumors 6502a

Corrode

I'm assuming the answer is no but I know there's someone techie out there who can tell me for sure.

3. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

4. Corrode thread starter macrumors 6502a

Corrode

So in case anyone is wondering, you CAN in fact swap the location of your Fusion SDD and HDD and the computer will still run like normal.

Turns out mine runs best with the HDD in the main bay and the SSD in the optical bay.