DIY Fusion Drive TRIM

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by casperes1996, Jul 5, 2014.

1. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

I didn't really know where to put this thread, so excuse me if it's a bit misplaced.

I'm considering buying an SSD for my MBP, to replace the SuperDrive, and would like to turn it into a fusion drive, combining it with my spinning platter disk. I'm concerned about TRIM though. If I make it into a Fusion Drive, will I be able to enable TRIM trough TRIM Enabler, without confusing my mechanical drive?

Thank you for your help!

2. catean macrumors regular

catean

Just as a quick advice, better install the SSD where you current HDD is and move the HDD into the superdrive caddy.

Why do you want to combine the 2 ? You can install the OS and the APPS on the SSD and the data into the HDD.

3. casperes1996 thread starter macrumors 65816

casperes1996

You make a good point

You make a good point in putting the SSD where the HDD is currently, and HDD in the Super Drive bay.
    I want to combine them for the same reason that people buy Fusion Drives to begin with. Less administrative work. Besides, Fusion Drive works at a block level. I can't really do that manually. There's some data that might benefit from staying on an SSD too, like iTunes and iPhoto libraries. These libraries may benefit more from SSD space than, let's say Spotify. Fusion Drive knows better than I do, again, it working on a block level.