DIY Fusion Drive: WD Black or Green?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Unrealtechno, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Unrealtechno, Mar 24, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2014

Unrealtechno macrumors newbie

So I added a 250GB EVO to my 2011 iMac (HOORAY!) but the paltry 500GB WD Blue was just not cutting it. I decided to replace it with a 3TB WD Black, and while I correctly installed it so the fans didn't immediately race, the drive really heats up and eventually the fans to kick in, sometimes up to 5900RPM. At idle it sits around 108-110, during a longer game of Civ 5 it will be at 129.

First off, is this going to effect the longevity of the iMac?
    Secondly, should I return the Black and go with Green?

Thanks!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Green drives are lower power drives that go into power save mode more aggressively then Black.

Black drives are performance drives.

I'd go with black since you're looking for performance (why else would you create a Fusion drive).

3. Unrealtechno, Mar 24, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2014

Unrealtechno thread starter macrumors newbie

That was exactly what I thought to do, I'm just concerned with the temperature. What temps should one be comfortable with?

4. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

129° f

129°Fahrenheit isn't going to kill the drive, and it shouldn't affect any other component either. You did mean 129 degrees temperature, right?

5. Unrealtechno thread starter macrumors newbie

I did, thanks 129º F. What are the upper limits of the envelope that I should be concerned about?

6. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

Operating tempr

WD has tested and verified the drive for 140F operational. This is the normal for platter based disks.

7. Unrealtechno thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, and since it runs hotter, does it the added heat effect the other components?

8. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

Highly unlikely

If any other component came to such a temperature that it would be potentially harmful, the computer would automatically shut itself down. I see this as being extremely unlikely however. If you are worried I suggest calling Apple support. I wouldn't worry though. I can't give you any specific numbers regarding the thermal design point for the iMac's disk drive slot, but I am confident that you aren't pushing it at 129°.

9. Unrealtechno thread starter macrumors newbie

Much appreciated, looks like keeping the drive is my best choice. This makes me miss the good old days when G4s were king and one could just toss another drive, card, or fan into it.