DIY Home Security and Automation Advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Gator24765, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Gator24765 macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

I am looking to invest in a new system for my home so that I can automate it. I won't be going fully automated but I would like to have one connected system that will monitor security (doors, garage, windows, etc), thermostat, lights (the ability to schedule lights to turn on and off, and wifi connected light switches) and other potential options outside of this.

I know there are a lot of options out there but would like advice on what you guys like best.

Deciding on HomeKit devices, zwave devices or other standalone products like ismartalarm.

What would you recommend?

2. Weaselboy, Dec 29, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2015

Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

https://www.reddit.com/r/homeautomation/

Reddit has a pretty good section on home automation that may help you get started. They maintain a wiki page here that is a good intro.

I'm pretty new to all this having just started with an Amazon Echo and a Phillips Hue lighting system that work nicely together. I also have a Harmony Smart Hub I use as a universal remote and that integrates with the Amazon Echo through IFTT.

I'm sort of on the fence about how much further I want to go with all this. Some things I kind of decided that even though it can be done, is it really easier than the non-automated method?

3. Wondercow macrumors 6502a

I got into Insteon devices a couple of years ago and I couldn't be happier; especially with Indigo Domotics' software. I have a decent-sized setup, utilizing many of the different devices, and I save a lot in energy costs, as well as getting notifications if certain things occur.