DIY iPhone 4 underwater case?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ethan028, Jul 1, 2010.

1. ethan028 macrumors 6502a

ethan028

So i want to take my iPhone underwater in my pool and take some cool pictures/videos.

I tried to google around for a case like this but all of it is always covering the camera.

Anyone?

Thanks

Ethan

2. xcutter macrumors newbie

Ziplock Freezer Bag

3. ethan028 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ethan028

Tried it water got in it :3

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

that sucks

seriously, get a dedicated device for this, not your iphone

5. ethan028 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ethan028

6. Kim Sux macrumors member

I think that's a great idea. Just put it inside of a freezer ziplock back and you'll be fine.

7. Nago macrumors member

Nago

And if you're really concerned, just use 2 ziplock bags, and hopefully you can get the touchscreen to work!

8. Cottonsworth macrumors regular

I wouldn't recommend a DIY solution using ziplock bags. Sounds too risky.

9. claud9999 macrumors newbie

I used a "dive bag" (like $5 at the local dive shop) to great effect. They're heavy-duty triple-sealed ziplock-like bags. Trick is to take pictures with the camera through the bag, but I was able to get it to work sometimes by creating an air gap between the bag and the screen, then mashing the screen. Got a number of great pics tho'! Might be a good reason to get camera software that takes pictures every N seconds so you need not touch the display to take the pics.

10. jay2spy macrumors newbie

Heat seal a zip lock baggy

I once bought a small bag sealer similar to the vacuum sealer only hand held about 3 inches by 1.5 inches. You could use it to seal the baggy rather than using the zipper. Bet this would work.

11. bibbz macrumors regular

bibbz

I use zip lock bags on my phone in my pool every year. Hangin out on a floatie browsing the net. It gets dropped from time to time and never gets inside the bag. Buy quality bags and youll be fine.

The touchscreen will not under water through the bag though. It'd be a great time for Camera+ or that other app that lets you sue the volume button to take the pic.