DIY iPhone4 reception fixes

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by philamac, Jun 24, 2010.

1. philamac macrumors regular

To the people experiencing reception degradation when you holding the iphone in your hand:

Let's do some experiments and try to figure out some temporary & easy fixes, so we don't have to bend over backwards, holding the phone in special ways, for the phone to work. I'll start off...

Try putting masking tape over the little slit near the bottom left corner, so that your skin cannot get in between the slits... let us know if that helps.

2. philamac thread starter macrumors regular

So Apple has come flat out and said they're not going to fix it. It may be a non-issue to them, but come on, who want's to worry about how to hold the phone, in fear that you may drop your own call?

From what I gather, it sounds like bumpers will solve the problem, but they cost $ and make the phone bulkier.... can we do better? The less bulky, and less intrusive, the better!

Has anyone tried my scotch tape suggestion?

3. iphoneguy123 macrumors regular

I'm actually looking at the ifixit teardowns to see if there's somebody I can internally do to solve the problem. Will report back.

4. firewood macrumors 604

I suggest screen protector film around the entire left edge, from the volume buttons to the mic opening.

5. RiceRacerDX macrumors 6502

Sleeping with Apple employees will not solve your problem. Clever thought though.

6. philamac thread starter macrumors regular

So I finally got my hands my hands on an iPhone4...
    and masking tape does not work.