diy macbook repair... penny for your thoughts

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mackmack, Oct 12, 2009.

1. mackmack macrumors member

My girlfriend has an old white macbook with 1.83GHz core duo processor, 60GB HDD, 1GB ram, etc. that she's going to give to me to fix. If it were in better condition, she would probably have flogged it on ebay to help pay for a macbook pro (she does design work). But alas, the screen flickers, the battery is probably not doing very well, the superdrive does not read dvds, and the body itself has seen better days.

From the symptoms, I figure the lcd inverter needs to be replaced and the superdrive at the very least, needs to have its lens cleaned. If that doesn't fix it, an alternative will need to be found.

For not too much money, it looks like I can find a black body to replace the worn out white body. Would a black body fit on thie macbook or am I looking at a completely different generation macbook here?

The model info for the macbook is as follows:

MA254LL/A
    A1181
    1.83/2X256/60/COMBO:WHITE-USA

2. eman macrumors 6502a

Look for a white or black plastic macbook that has a 1.83GHz, 2.0GHz or 2.16Ghz processor, these have the same body.

3. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

I did something similar to my macbook (black+white casing). Have a look at this post to see.

It wasn't an easy mod; i had to take everything out of the computer and put it all back together in the black bottom case. It looks great, though.

4. mackmack thread starter macrumors member

Cool. ;) What's the list of parts you had to swap? So far, I count lower cover, upper palmrest/kb cover, clutch, lcd top cover. Oh and of course the battery.

5. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

This isn't economically feasible.

If you want to do it as a learning experience, have fun. It will be educational.

If you want something easy and quick, remove the HD from that machine, buy a black macbook off craigslist(where things go cheap), and sell the current macbook on ebay(where things go for more than they're worth due to bidding wars).

With older models, if you have to spend more than X dollars to fix/modify it, it is often cheaper to just sell it and get another one, and swap the hard drive.

6. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

If you've got the skills, and you want a custom macbook oreo, I'd say go for it. Otherwise, I'd try to fix the superdrive and lcd as cheaply and easily as possible and sell it on CL to an unsophisticated buyer.

Older processor, limited ram, and the netbook quality graphics card are big limits on this sucker. I presume it's out of warranty, the components are already failing, and it's either been used hard or abused.

I question the wisdom of buying anything major, and selling anything at all, on ebay. I've heard too many stories from legitimate sources of people getting ripped off by scam artists and charlatans there. Last I checked, paypal only provides $200 worth of protection to buyers, and no practical assurance to buyers. Specifically, overseas buyers making illegitimate claims about the item they bought, getting their money back from paypal, and keeping the item.

Mmmm....macbook oreo....:eek:

7. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

The computer started off as white, so I just had to swap the display case and bottom case. It did require me to take the whole computer (including display assembly) apart, but it wasn't too bad.

8. mackmack thread starter macrumors member

The macbook really isn't in as bad a condition as it sounds. It still works just fine. $12 inverter and a little TLC and it'll be just fine for anything but gaming. Certainly less money than buying a netbook and more powerful as well. Definitely worth not having to risk it on craigslist and ebay. Both seem like they're chock full of less than intelligent people... :p

It looks like I can get it decently fixed up for $100. I already have a macbook pro and mac pro. $100 is really peanuts if I can get a backup mac up and running.

9. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

Haha great one :)