DIY replacing DC-in Board on ibook g4

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by JessicaPNG, May 10, 2009.

1. JessicaPNG macrumors newbie

Hi everyone!

After spending a lot of time troubleshooting and researching to figure out what's wrong with my ibook I concluded to about 90% certainty that I need to replace the DC-in board. I ordered and received a replacement - and the necessary screwdrivers, etc - from ifixit, only now I find myself just staring at the laptop like I'm about to perform open heart surgery LOL.

My questions are:

Is doing this myself high risk for someone who has never so much as seen the inside of a computer?

Roughly how long should this take me to do? I don't want to start it without some sense of the time commitment involved because I'd rather do it all in one sitting.

And lastly, from what I've seen in guides/tutorials it looks as though there's some prying involved in removing the casing and I'm wondering just how much finesse is required in closing it back up. Does it snap back in easily?

Thanks so much for any help/guidance you can give!

2. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

I wouldn't attempt to fix it unless you're confident working with computer internals. I did it and it wasn't hard for me but this is something I do all the time.

Give yourself at least an hour if you haven't done anything like this before. It'll take some time.

The case should easily snap back in.

3. ddeadserious macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

4. JessicaPNG thread starter macrumors newbie