DIY Smart Home Lighting Switch Solutions?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rhyzome, Mar 16, 2015.

1. rhyzome, Mar 16, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2015

rhyzome macrumors regular

Hi--

I have an old MBP and a spare Airport Express to work with, and I'd like to find a (not expensive) way to use my spare equipment to control a lamp or two around my house. I just want to be able to switch it off or on over the wifi network. (I already have a network set up running from a time capsule with an extending Airport Express)

Might anyone know if there is some kind of on/off controller that I could plug the lamp into, that could be activated over the network (perhaps it plugs via USB into a spare mac or an airport express?)?

Are there less expensive/alternative solutions from simply buying a smart bulb?

Anyone done similar projects?

(PS--anyone know if there are smart light-switches that could use the iphone to detect your proximity or as a remote?)

2. chogue23 macrumors member

Look at products form Wink. (http://www.wink.com/) They have outlet plugs and even bulbs that connect to a smart hub and can be controlled through a mobile app or over the network. Also look into products that support Zigbee. The standards are the same and should be compatible. If you are near a HomeDepot, you can get the GE Link LED bulbs that connect to a Wink for $15 each and can be remotely turned off or on and can be dimmed.

----------

The other alternative would be something based on Arduino, but that requires that you learn the programming language and have experience soldering and designing your own products.