DIY SSD Guides and options?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Cyth, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Cyth macrumors newbie

I have recently bought one of the new models of the MBP, specifically the 15" 2.4 Ghz model with a 500 GB 7200 RPM HDD and Anti Gloss screen. One thing I was particularly interested in when ordering this MBP was getting it an SSD as I love the performance they give and I think they would give better battery life over an HDD. This wasn't an option for me however as I can't afford to pay £1000 for a decent sized storage unit, so regretfully I went with the HDD.

I'm told though, that you can do some DIY and install a SDD in place of your HDD, or the Superdrive. I'm interested in going this route later on when I can afford it, when 500 GB SSDs are cheaper than then are now.

So I'm here to ask if anyone has found any decent DIY guides for someone looking to install an aftermarket SSD. How difficult is it compared to building your regular PC? Building one of those was extremely easy but I know laptops are a bit harder to deal with, and this being a £1650 laptop, I really would not like to mess this up and cause permanent damage to the build quality or hardware. Keeping it in place will be in issue I've though so are there any aftermarket accessories I can use to keep it in place?

In my PC, I have Windows 7, all my programs and a few games on my 80 GB X25-M SSD, and everything else (music, movies, work files) on my HDD. Can you do something like this on a Mac? If so I might just do the same thing and put OS X/Programs on a HDD and files on my HDD. I still have a long time to think about it though.

Thanks for reading :) Will appreciate the advice/help/suggestions/input!

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

thats right :) check out this thread - basically you need a caddy which is put into your optical bay, and then the HDD/SSD sits in there.

the thread above i linked to has user guides everywhere. but its pretty darn easy! needs more tinkering then your generic PC (;)) but its really worth it.

most certainly can! that will work perfectly fine :D

3. Cyth thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply but are there any other guides you know of? That one doesn't look so clear.

I'm keeping my options up atm since there are so many different alternatives.