DIY super thin moleskine cover question

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by stewie1, Sep 26, 2011.

1. stewie1 macrumors member

Has anyone noticed that the extra-large Moleskine notebook is exactly the same size as an iPad?

I love the concept of the notebook-style covers, but the execution leaves something to be desired. Too much bulk, too much risk of iPad falling out, etc.

So I was thinking... if I ripped the cover off a used XL size Moleskine (looks like this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrismiller/5761040965/in/photostream/) and just glued or taped it on to the back of my iPad, might I have the ideal cover?

I'm not looking for drop protection, just really want a flap to go over the screen, protect the back from scratches, and offer some protection when the iPad is in my bag or on my desk.

Has anyone tried to do such a think using double sided tape or glue? And if so, would you be able to recommend an adhesive that will stick well but also come off easily without ruining the back of the iPad?

2. Woodrow72 macrumors member

Woodrow72

I like that idea and would love to see pictures if you do it.

I'm curious though if you have seen Zagg's solution for this.
    They have leather covers for the back and I believe they make smart covers that match. This might not be anywhere close to what you're looking for though.

http://www.zagg.com/personalize/skins.php

Good luck!

3. tirnszw, Sep 26, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2011

tirnszw macrumors member

I wanted to do it myself exactly as you mentioned--using XL Moleskine or some hardcover sketchbook--but the hardest part is to securely and elegantly attach iPad onto the cover. The easiest way is to attach secure pegs at four corners (like Oberon case or BookBook case) but, I prefer nothing visible holding the iPad in front. ;)

4. stewie1 thread starter macrumors member

Actually what I was thinking was using an adhesive to attach the back cover to the back of the iPad. I should clarify that I'm talking about the softcover moleskine, not the hard cover. I'll admit up front that this will not be an elegant solution... but I'm not an elegant guy. As long as it doesn't look horrible it will be good enough for me.

There must be some kind of double sided 3M adhesive tape that will be sticky enough to hold but not so sticky that it will ruin the iPad...

5. sigamy macrumors 65816

How about gluing one of the plastic snap-in back case to the back panel of the notebook? So you'd have a moleskin notebook front and back cover with a plastic snap-in permantely locked in. Just snap the iPad into the case and go.

6. stewie1 thread starter macrumors member

That is brilliant! Thanks for the suggestion. Will let you know if it works.