DIY: Truck A-Pillar: HellHandle: GPS Mount: OtterBox Defender

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by lemonademaker, Oct 21, 2009.

1. lemonademaker macrumors 6502a

lemonademaker

In a Van Down By The River! Metro Detroit!
    OK i've been hesitant whether or not to post this little DIY on this forum because it didn't seem like a "handy-man" type of forum... but i've found still very usefull for my needs....

I really haven't found a very good STURDY mount for any of my GPS's.... I"m not a fan of the vent, window etc mounts (to loose for my liking).... so I made one that is pretty useful, that is SOLID and connects/(zipties) to the hell handle with a $3 piece of metal from ACE hardware (or free if you have the metal laying around).... I have power to my a-pillar i'm just waiting for the USB cord in the mail..... I don't have painted and looking pretty yet, but i think it gives you an idea.....

My Old Garmin 60csx Mounted to my A-pillar hell handle (the black portion is an end of a piece conduit cut 1/4 of the way off and the GPS slips in/out easily)
    [​IMG]

Now for the 3GS I just adapted the old Otterbox Defender Holster (this one is broken but can still still swivel 360degrees for landscape mode) on to my metal bracket that is ziptied on to the hell handle.... THE PICTURE LOOKS DECEPTIVE I DON'T HIT IT WITH MY ARM AT ALL..... and it sits right inline with the a-pillar even in landscape mode so there is no visual problem....
    [​IMG]

I've got some pics for the DIY if anyone is interested.....

CHEERS!!

2. lollicup macrumors regular

I would agree with your opening comment lol ( lots of OCD pansy boys if you ask me :p )

Anyways you seem like you have a good reason for needing such a structurally sound mount ( probably bumpy roads, etc)

You should look into ram mounts for the iphone, you can buy the basic iPhone 3g cradle and then buy whatever mounting system you want ( they have 100's of custom options)

http://www.ram-mount.com/NewProducts/iPhone3GS/tabid/1991/Default.aspx

cheers

3. strike1555 macrumors 6502

While I personally need my gps on the right side, that's a really nice setup. Looks very sturdy and stable.

4. lemonademaker thread starter macrumors 6502a

lemonademaker

In a Van Down By The River! Metro Detroit!
    Ya I've got a ram mount for my boat gps and checked them out for the truck.....

they are versatile but by the time you get the clamp, "knuckle", arm and then mount it gets pretty long and this one fits close to the A-pillar handle, so i don't hit it on the way in or out of the truck..... it works on my new truck also (kind of a universal idea)... I did have to get used to having it on the left side but it was a quick learn.. the line of site is handy because your eyes stay up on the horizon and makes handy for answering calls

oh ya and I guess it's kind of a "see if I can make something work" thing....LOL
    it does look better when it's painted and the right color zipties.... :D

[​IMG]