DIY: Way to test MBP Logic Boards?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by QuakeProd, Dec 10, 2010.

1. QuakeProd macrumors member

QuakeProd

(MBP, 15 in, 1.83 duo first model)

So I'm stuck between knowing if my MBP has a bag logic board, worn out plugs going Into it, or other reasons. It will not power on at all. About 5-10 minutes prior it was perfect. The battery had power, and when its not plugged up the green light is very bright. I figure since the I/O board is connected to the Logic and it shows power, that it may indicate its ok. But i dont know, since its not directly hooked to it.
    Apple/Geniuses and Other shops just give me quotes on changing out the logic board after observation of it not getting power...never have said anything relating to "After Testing the logic board...."

So I am wondering, whats the secret? how is it done? CAN it be done at home?
    or, does anyone know what the shops/techs use to test boards?

Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I'm pretty sure you can test it in some way but it comes down to whether it's worth it or not, and it isn't. Even if they did test and find something wrong, it would most likely be something to do with a part that's soldered on or something that wouldn't be able to fix. This is why they just replace the logic board.

3. QuakeProd thread starter macrumors member

QuakeProd

Thats understandable.
    I can be pretty tedious though.. besides, thats a guaranteed business. All I ever see is logic board problems.
    I would still like to know the process. I suppose I have to dig deeper into it.

Only catch to that is if I get one from apple, possibly $100-$150 or more I can completely upgrade the whole computer...even if it is the most basic system.