DIY wireless time capsule won't back up anymore

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Astroboy907, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

I have set up a DIY time capsule with a 3TB hdd and an Apple router. I unplugged the drive and plugged it directly to my Macbook to get a faster connection to move 12gb of files I accidentally deleted/corrupted. Plugged the HDD back into the router and my Macbook says the last backup was August 14, when previously it had been sometime in June last year. How do I point my computer back to the correct backup file?

2. Astroboy907 thread starter macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Well, I think Time Machine deleted my old backups, because now it's starting to back up again and deleted (as far as I know), my old sparsebundle for backup. This sucks. Didn't lose a lot (one pic), but it hurts losing 6 months of backups.
    Any help?

3. priitv8 macrumors 68020

What's on your disk now? A sparsebundle or a Backups.backupdb folder?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Networked TM backups use a sparse bundle format and locally attached TM backups use a flat file format. You can't switch back and forth using the same backup set.

5. Astroboy907 thread starter macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

I believe I tried to access it using "Browse other time machine disks" (connected locally) in TM. But I might have just clicked time machine and it failed to connect (looking in the wrong location).

There is a MyName's Macbook Pro (2).sparsebundle on the disk, as well as a backups.db (which upon inspection seems to be a remnant from my older iMac backups)...
    My guess is that they are gone for good?

----------

Both, see above

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It does sound like things got borked in the process of switching around like you did. I know backing up to USB on the previous generation of Airport Extremes is not supported by Apple, even though some people get it to work, so it could be it was corrupt even before you started switching things up.

I would erase the drive and star over, assuming you don't have any data on there you need to recover.

7. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Well, that's the problem. Backing up over network usually creates a sparsebundle. Had you started it over network, then cancelled and connected directly to Mac over USB, TM would have picked up the sparsebundle and continued from there.
    Normal backup to directly USB-connected drive creates only a backupdb folder. As I learned from this forum, if you have this structure on disk, even APX/TC will continue to use this folder, not the sparsebundle. Haven't really tested it myself TBH. But there is a user on this forum who insists it works for him.
    Now you have 3 choices:
    1) delete the folder and resume with old sparsebundle (if it's not corrupt, you lose the recent backups)
    2) delete the sparsebundle and continue with folder (you lose old backups)
    3) leave everything as is. This way, your old backups are still in sparsebundle (you can mount it manually and copy files back from there) and new backups will continue writing into folder.

8. Astroboy907 thread starter macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

I've been backup up externally to it for over a year now, without any problem until now, and started backing it up externally this way. The old backups.db folder is from my old iMac, kept them just in case because I ended up formatting it. Looks like now I can probably delete it (literally forgot it was there until I had to check the disk), and get rid of those backups.

From what I can tell, I connected it over USB, and it did something funky and deleted my old sparsebundle, or unpacked it as a backups.db or something to get rid of it. A few days later it comes up with all these disk space issues for a first time backup (that is when I was alerted to the problem), and it had by now started another sparsebundle. From what I can see, it is still backing up into a sparsebundle, not a folder (it is connected via my wifi network ATM).

I could index the disk using something like Disk Inventory X, if it would help.

So basically I think as you guys said, the old sparsebundle, if it even exists somewhere still, is probably corrupt or something. I'll check and see if I can get a couple things and check for my old files, and then probably reformat the disk and check the permissions. Maybe go get another couple TB of storage as well and integrate into a RAID setup, or just have a backup across disks. I've only needed backups twice (well, now 3) times in my life, but it doesn't hurt to have them!