Dj for Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Northman666, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Northman666 macrumors newbie

I'm looking for a program for mac that will allow me to create my own music, specifically electronic/dub music. I'm completely new to the whole idea of making music or being a DJ but I love dubstep and that kind of music.

Northman

2. Migra macrumors newbie

Garage Band is already included on every mac, you can start with it without spending extra cash, now if you're rich and want to go to the Major Leagues get Logic Studio or Ableton Live + Reason + an audio interface (Fast Track Pro or Apogee Duet) + a midi keyboard (Axiom Pro 49), for DJ you can use Ableton Live or Traktor Pro
    :D

3. UpDownAeroplane macrumors member

i don't think garageband is too good for dj and electronic type music. not a bad program, but i think ableton live is more what you need.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

That is true, but for a beginner, Garage Band might offer a better way to begin creating music, especially since it comes pre-installed with every Mac. Ableton Live costs 349 USD (downlad) to 449 USD (box) or 209 USD if one takes the education version.

5. easepease macrumors regular

ableton lets you use all features for free as a tial, you just can't save anything :( I would give it a run around for a few hours. If its too intimidating start with Garageband then move up to Logic if you are looking to produce. If you want to DJ at a club then I have to say either Traktor, Serator itch or Ableton is the way to go.

I use ableton and serato scratch. It depends on the music, you said Dubstep? I would use serato or ableton as well. Ableton is the most powerful IMHO but serato can let you use turntables to a much greater effect. Lastly if yo want to DJ live, i would recommend the Korg zero4 mixer as its both digital and analog. However to start out make sure to get an external sound card like the iMic from griffin! This will let you monitor your music which is vital for any DJ!!!

HOpe that helps

6. Northman666 thread starter macrumors newbie

wait a minute...garageband didnt come on my mac. I have a mac osx. i pressed command spacebar, typed garageband, and i dont have it. i literally looked everywhere on this computer and i do not have it. i just bought this last year i didnt know it was supposed to come pre installed wtf.

7. Keniff macrumors 6502a

Keniff

8. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

For Garage Band have a look on the second grey Restore DVD that came with your iMac, it contains iLife and you can re-install iLife or only one application from that DVD.

9. coachingguy macrumors 6502a

coachingguy

Djay...

I Djay High School dances and Weddings and picked up Djay for $50... It works great for my needs and I'm using probably only 50% of what it can do. So before you spend an arm n' leg try Djay.

Coachingguy

10. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

Djay and VirtualDJ are good for what you need. If you want to produce your own music I would start with Fruity Loops. It's Windows only, but it's a good place to start. And if you know what you're doing, it won't cost you anything :p

11. vkramer macrumors regular