DJ speaker trouble...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Sam Cropper, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Sam Cropper macrumors newbie

Hi guys :)

I have recently been given some old DJ speakers from a local DJ... They are HUGE and are perfect for parties. However, i cannot seem to get them a-boomin'. At the back of the speakers (4 of them, each the size of a bull elephant) there are only two holes... two audio jacks like you would plug an electric guitar into an amp with. I was wondering if anybody knew how to get them to work (loud).

Ideally i would like to play my iPod Touch through them. I have tried plugging my iPod in directly (i know, stupid) and also plugging iPod into my guitar amp (Fender with input hole) Then to the speakers out of the 'phones' output. however, both attempts were futile, they worked, but much much quieter than the amp alone, which shouldn't be the case, should it? I can't find any information about the speakers... apart from the weigh more than my whole house... each... Any ideas?

Thanks

Sam :)

2. adk macrumors 68000

adk

3. beatzfreak macrumors 6502

Yep, 2 amps would be even better.

Your guitar amp most likely doesn't have enough power to drive those speakers.

4. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Post a picture, I'll try and identify them. It's possible they're custom-built jobs though.

5. LifeIsCheap macrumors regular

The sockets probably are the same as you'd plug a guitar lead into. As adk said, you need an amp. You plug your iPod or whatever into the amp, probably using one of these cables:
    [​IMG]

Then you plug one of these into the left output of the amp and into the back of one of the speakers:
    [​IMG]

...and another into the right output and take it to the other speaker. As your speakers have two holes, they could be stereo, but I doubt it in a DJ setup. Could also be a connection for a sub? Hmmm.... I'll leave that to someone else to figure out!

6. adk macrumors 68000

adk

A little more clarification now that I am home from work:

You have passive speakers. This means that they don't have internal amplification. You can use something as simple as a home stereo to power them as long as you get the right tips on the ends of your cables.

Speaking of cables, the jacks on the speakers you see are 1/4" speaker jacks, a common connection in the world of PA/DJ speakers. Yes, a guitar cable will fit into it, but it can't handle the amperage that's needed to run the speakers. You need speaker cables with 1/4" connectors.

Realistically, you're going to want a a standalone amplifier. You should be able to find a decent one used for $250 - $300.

Only one cable needs to go to the speakers to provide sound. The two jacks give the opportunity for the speakers to be wired in parallel, which allows more speakers to be run off of one amplifier but also greatly increases the load.

7. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

The dual holes are most probably for bi-amping or daisy-chaining (most likely the latter).

You would ideally use an amp of significant power. PA speakers are usually very efficient for the power they're given, but will demand an amp which can keep good control.

Maybe your best bet would be to go for a powered mixer, and something with quite a lot of power.

Something like http://www.dv247.com/invt/38103/ this. (although don't expect this to last as long as your speakers hopefully will - Behringer's kit is the absolute budget end of the market).