Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djab

macrumors newbie
Original poster
I am a professional DJ that uses Mac for DJing. The software i use is Disco XT Pro. I was wondering if there is anyway to include turntables to scratch with my music. Is there any way to do this in Disco XT or would i need another software?
What kind of turntables would i need?
Thanks

xparaparafreakx

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Do you need turntables? The requires a mixer, 2 turntables and software/audio interfaces.

Since you started as a digital DJ, try getting something like a VCI-300 with traktor or "sigh" serato itch.

djtechtools.com

skratchworx.com/newspage.php4

However if you like to go the turntable route. Bring out the wallet.

2 Technics 1200s (buy it used, if you dont keep it, still resable.

High quality mixer (this can go from 2 channel to 4, 6, or 8. Audio interfaces in it. Midi)

2 Neddles (depending on your preferences)

Software. Traktor Scratch Duo, Traktor Scratch Pro, Rane Serator Scratch Live.

From those you will get to pick your audio interface.

Figure out what you want to do.

Whatever you do, DO NOT PICK SERATO ON THE BASE THAT OTHER PEOPLE USE IT. This also applies to Traktor too.

BTW, also do you want to mix videos?

wilycoder

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2008
Do you need turntables? The requires a mixer, 2 turntables and software/audio interfaces.

Since you started as a digital DJ, try getting something like a VCI-300 with traktor or "sigh" serato itch.

djtechtools.com

skratchworx.com/newspage.php4

However if you like to go the turntable route. Bring out the wallet.

2 Technics 1200s (buy it used, if you dont keep it, still resable.

High quality mixer (this can go from 2 channel to 4, 6, or 8. Audio interfaces in it. Midi)

2 Neddles (depending on your preferences)

Software. Traktor Scratch Duo, Traktor Scratch Pro, Rane Serator Scratch Live.

From those you will get to pick your audio interface.

Figure out what you want to do.

Whatever you do, DO NOT PICK SERATO ON THE BASE THAT OTHER PEOPLE USE IT. This also applies to Traktor too.

BTW, also do you want to mix videos?

No, he should pick serato because it kicks ass. Unless you want 4 channel support...

xparaparafreakx

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
That Sixty-Eight is awesome. I might have a new mixer for me. I wish it had midi support with traktor so I can use it with both of them.

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
"Whatever you do, DO NOT PICK SERATO ON THE BASE THAT OTHER PEOPLE USE IT. This also applies to Traktor too."

This also applies to Tech 12's, IMHO.

I run 4 different mobile rigs, all with Serato. 2 with twin Pioneer CDJ1000/mk3s and 2 with pairs of Stanton STR8.150s...which, I prefer greatly to Tech 12s (I also have several Technic decks that we don't use any longer).

I also have Traktor and DJ1800. Serato is a great choice, if simply for the wide-spread support. Traktor (or any NI program for that matter) is also well supported, just not used as often in my neck of the woods.

Don't forget your coffin or separate cases for protection. Also, someone else mentioned it as well...a decent to high quality mixer is a good (great) idea. You can go cheap, but you'll end up replacing it.

Are you going with TTs for the look or because that's what you're used to for scratching? If just for the look, I would back off and buy CDJs. Turntables, again, as others have mentioned....need a decent stylus/cartridge, much more care, and a stable foundation. Again, Just my humble opinion.

We also have a couple of CMX/DJM 3000 rigs which are battle proven and bulletproof. They are often the requested rigs of a couple of my employees as they are lighter, pre-racked, and solid performing setups. Unfortunately, not the best for scratching...ymmv

J

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.