DJI Debuts New Mavic Pro Platinum and Phantom 4 Pro Obsidian Drones

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 31, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

At the IFA trade show in Berlin, popular drone manufacturer DJI announced two new drones, which are upgraded versions of its popular Mavic Pro and Phantom 4 drone lineup.

The Mavic Pro Platinum is identical to the Mavic Pro, but it comes in a new platinum color and it features both an 11 percent gain in flight time and a 60 percent reduction in noise. With the flight time improvements, the Mavic Pro Platinum's battery will last for 30 minutes before needing to be recharged.

[​IMG]

To enable the longer battery life and quieter operation, DJI is using new electronic speed controllers and new propellers, with the propellers compatible with existing Mavic Pro models.

The Phantom 4 Pro Obsidian, part of the Pro line designed for professionals, features a matte-gray shell color and a magnesium electroplated gimbal that has an anti-fingerprint coating.

[​IMG]

DJI also plans to introduce new firmware for its smallest drone, the Spark, introducing a panoramic photo with a fisheye lens effect that can be shared to social media sites. The new firmware will be available in the upcoming DJI Go 4 mobile app.

DJI's new Mavic Pro Platinum is available for pre-order immediately from the DJI website, and it will begin shipping in September. It's priced at $1,099, a $100 premium over the standard Mavic Pro.

The Phantom 4 Pro Obsidian will retail for $1,499. It will be available for purchase in September from the DJI website.

Article Link: DJI Debuts New Mavic Pro Platinum and Phantom 4 Pro Obsidian Drones

2. ghost187 macrumors 6502a

ghost187

I expected much more from the Mavic update, like 4k 60fps and more obstacle avoidance sensors.

3. nutmac macrumors 68040

I am glad to see further improvements to its low-end drone, Spark.

I hope DJI would introduce even cheaper drone like Parrot MiniDrone, suitable for younger demographics.

4. mcdspncr macrumors regular

mcdspncr

I doubt this is anything more than just an incremental update to keep sales up while Mavic Pro 2 gets fitted with 360 obstacle avoidance and better low light performance :) fingers crossed at least

5. Exile714 macrumors 6502a

Will the new propellers make existing Mavic Pros quieter too?

6. kingpushup macrumors regular

They re seemingly pumping media with minor updates to, guessing, move beyond the military ban story.

Updates all seem minor lately. Articles seem fluffed and channelled for click thrus. Just opinion, but MC could always state they do not have deal with [here’s where to buy] company. rofl.

7. TypeEE macrumors member

can the new version do hand gesture controls?

8. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

FINALLY. I hate it when my drone is flying at 500ft and it has fingerprints on it.

9. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

Yes DJI said that there will be some benefits but not as much as the platinum

10. luvbug macrumors regular

luvbug

Drones intrigue me, but I have yet to buy one. I keep wondering if I even have the coordination necessary to fly one, without wrecking it in the first 5 minutes.

11. travoose macrumors member

travoose

@luvbug , you would be fine, trust me....I wondered the same thing and just purchased a DJI Spark this summer...never flew a drone before and was very nervous about it...I fly all the time now and have never once crashed, had a few close calls, but that was only due to me trying to fly it too close to an object.

12. Westside guy macrumors 603

Westside guy

The really great thing about Obsidian Drones is they can be used to kill White Walkers.

13. macbeta macrumors regular

macbeta

These... are not the Drones I am looking for
    --- Post Merged, Aug 31, 2017 ---
    Yeah its not really an update its a fresh coat of paint on an existing production line for an extra 100$. Clever company, they are very good at squeezing every drop of money out of the supply chain, a bit like apple.

14. viper1549 macrumors newbie

viper1549

They are not as hard as you think, most these days have altitude hold which makes it too easy but even the cheaper ones at least have sensors to keep it straight/stable. Buy a small micro 30 dollar drone, you master that and you can fly any drone.
    -Donovan

15. ghost187 macrumors 6502a

ghost187

It probably means Mavic 2 is long ways off as well.

16. Michael Scrip macrumors 603

I always wondered why the Phantoms were painted white... they're very difficult to see in the sky.

But wait... the Mavic update gave it a lighter paint job?

Don't these guys ever learn?!?!! :confused:

17. pixelatedscraps macrumors 6502

pixelatedscraps

Minor updates..and so we go into yet more incremental DJI updates. Nice colour scheme. Hang on, it sounds like something Apple might do...

18. Nicky G macrumors 6502a

Nicky G

It's incredibly easy with drones like the Mavic and Phantom. Like insanely. I got a Mavic a few months ago and it's sick. :)

19. BvizioN macrumors 601

BvizioN

Exactly my thought. DJI does this occasionally before the major upgrade.

20. ThunderSkunk macrumors 68030

ThunderSkunk

Weird to see a company naming a product the unique name of Mavic, when Mavic is one of the oldest and most prominent brands in the unrelated but very well established cycling world.

While unrelated industries, it's still weird. If I started marketing steak knives or something with a product name of Chevrolet, I'd probably be in hot water.

Yeti Coolers using the same logo as the original logo for Yeti Cycles is a weird one too. Maybe in the age of outdated IP laws, and rules and laws in general meaning nothing, the whole racket is just going away.

21. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

It's not "an Apple like thing" until you see DJI release a Rose Gold Mavic Pro Plus. :p

22. pixelatedscraps macrumors 6502

pixelatedscraps

That, I fear, is just a matter of time...

23. DeepIn2U macrumors 603

DeepIn2U

Lol. Man you should try the 80's remote controlled air Lanes that where gas powered - then you'd be seriously worrying! No automation nor assistance at all.

24. skys15 macrumors member

skys15

Expected upgrades should never warrant a price hike!! :(